Guyana - Suriname - French Guiana

When I went, I flew from Miami to Trinidad and on to Georgetown. I found Georgetown and other parts of Guyana interesting, and I'm certainly not sorry I went, but I have no great wish to return. Suriname was a pleasant surprise, and I even enjoyed French Guiana (where I did manage to get around with help from Spanish and German, as French is my desperation language). There was tremendous Asian street food in French Guiana.

I found the architecture in both Georgetown and Paramaribo very interesting, and found Suriname to be very safe and relaxed, but I was there nearly 20 years ago. Plenty of people in Suriname spoke comprehensible English.
20 years ago Buenos Aires was a very safe place also. Very safe!
Time has passed and so has the safety.

20 years ago Buenos Aires was a very safe place also. Very safe!
Time has passed and so has the safety.

I remain alert in Buenos Aires, but I am not obsessive about safety. By the standards of most global capitals, it's still a safe place.

I remain alert in Buenos Aires, but I am not obsessive about safety. By the standards of most global capitals, it's still a safe place.
Did I say obsessive? I simply aknowledged the passing of time with it the safety. 20 years ago in NY you would not walk the streets at 4AM. You could in BA. [anywhere]

I cycled through all of the Americas and the Guyanas were one of the most interesting parts. It was a welcome change in food and culture and language after a year in Central America and Colombia/Venezuela.
The silly thing is that there is no border crossing from Venezuela (though thet share a long border), as Vz claims a large part of Guyana... So we had to cycled down to Boa Vista, Brasil, and then back up to Lethem in Guyana. I assume that there are also internal flights in Brasil to Boa Vista, so that could be another way of entry (the bus to Guyana is only a few hours and there are daily buses to George town).

We only spent about a week in each country as we had to catch a boat in Macapa, but I really enjoyed them, Surinam the best, but the Guyanas were nice as well. As mentioned, we cycled, but had no problems with safety (actually, after crossing 23 countries, the only trouble we had was in Argentina, but that is another story..).

We got the visa for Guyana in Caracas, Vz; The visa for Surinam can be gotten there as well, but takes weeks (!), but fortunately in Georgetown you can get it in a day ('we do things differently, here', was the answer to my question to the embassy in Guyana. The Surinam embassador in Caracas actually recommended illegal entry into Surinam instead.).

You go from one country to the next by boat/ferry, easy. Wonderful to see in French Guyana were the leatherback turtles depositing their eggs just outside of Cayenne. The road into Brasil is a bit dangerous, so we got a ride to the Brasil border.

In short: worth a visit, off the beaten path.
Cheers.

I rather doubt anyone in this forum would travel in the fashion listed by the last reply in this sequence of thoughts on the three little countries in SA. It must have been a very interesting trip.

Hi
I spent one month traveling through the 3 countries
All three are dangerous but Georgetwon is the worst! I was almost attacked 3 or 4 times and in broad daylight and in not dangerous areas(although everywhere is dangerous)
French Guyana is interesting but $$ as its a French overseas territory and they use the Euro ; As I speak fluent French it was easy to communicate otherwise it would be a bit difficult. if one has a good level of French, one can apply in advance to go on the free and official centre spatiel guyanais tour in Kourou where they launch satellites into space.
Suriname is probably the easiest to travel in and maybe the friendliest
I travel via public transportation eveywhere including taking a pirogue(canue) to cross from Surinam to French Guyana and back
I am glad I can say I was there but I'd never go back

I spent a few months working in Guyana. Not a lot of positives to be said about the country - slightly ahead of Nigeria and most parts of west africa in terms of development. I didn't have any issues with safety although I know it can be a big problem.

Checked but cannot find any info online on this subject: Do EU citizens receive immediate residency in French Guiana?

to all of you who discussed jim jones and his kool aid deals .... that was a one time event from how many years ago? Jones had his followers so therefore you people are going to say well this happened there so therefore we too will stay away from that area as evil is present there too... i will refrain from saying my real thoughts as I am sure others can understand what might be on my mind instead... Follow your brains!

Kaieteur Falls in Guyana is well worth the visit. Also, despite what an earlier poster says, many people in Suriname speak English.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Travellers Stories 2