Hard To Find/expensive Products From The States

I recently read an article about why we "miss" these products:

The food America is served is biologically addictive. Because of this, willpower is that much more difficult to control.

The food industry deliberately creates addictive products (nearly 600,000) and lies about the science behind it.

The food environment is toxic and the food industry pretends to be part of the solution while actually making us sicker and fatter.

Government and “independent” professional organizations like the American Nutrition and Dietetic Association (AND) are corrupted by food industry money.

Obesity and chronic disease (diabetes, heart disease, cancer) are contagious, and we need a public health campaign, policy changes, and community-based solutions to cure them. -

See more at: http://www.chopra.com/ccl/its-not-your-fault-youre-fat
I was looking at earlier posts in this thread.

Jan, You nailed it.

Food in EE UU is psychological warfare on a person's palate.

So does BA still have imported foods? Here all the imports have dried up. Both jumbo and coto have resorted to filling up their import section with oranjeboom beer and heinz ketchup bottles. The jumbo here looks really shitty, the sign blew off the building months ago and it hasn't been replaced.

Just wondering if it's an interior thing...

i've stopped going to my jumbo so i havent looked for kraft mac and cheese in awhile. but my minimercado next door still seems to have their usual good selection of things that i presume are imported.

And yes, it's not just diet, but exercise as well, we used to walk a lot, one hour per day easily all around Recoleta and Palermo, so we're starting to do that as well, and adding daily workouts as well. The lack of activity in the earlier parts of quarantine here took their toll. We're not going to be going to the gym anytime soon though, even if they open, the gyms here are generally utterly unhygienic, none we've seen have paper towels and disinfectant spray for the machines after use, and the shower / toilet facilities are generally unspeakable. I really can't see the gym opening going well.

Covid will certainly force them to up their cleaning game. But from the management down to the customers... gyms are an utter disaster in BA.

No one uses a towel.

No one wipes down anything (because there is nothing to wipe it down with).

No one puts the weights back after they're doing using them - they just set them down wherever they want.

People hog the equipment and spend more time socializing than working out.

The "personal trainers" are completely useless - all they do is flirt with the clientele.

And cancelling your gym membership is like pulling teeth.

I personally don't care about planter's nuts, peanut butter, or pepperoni.

Just give me a decent US-style GYM!

So does BA still have imported foods? Here all the imports have dried up. Both jumbo and coto have resorted to filling up their import section with oranjeboom beer and heinz ketchup bottles. The jumbo here looks really shitty, the sign blew off the building months ago and it hasn't been replaced.

Here out in the sticks we don't have Jumbo or COTO.....have to make do with La Anonima/Vea and Dia. They had Heinz ketchup but that's disappeared from them all however I suspected that was because it didn't sell more than anything else. Most imported good on the shelves I've seen here is beer with variety on the increase...usually brands I've never heard of right enough.
One product I've yet to see during my 12 years here is peanut butter....however the wife recently said she saw it for sale in her favourite greengrocer. Still waiting for her answer when I asked her why she didn't buy me some. :rolleyes:

I went to jumbo a couple of months ago, and the holy grail - Tina - a couple of weeks ago. Both still have imported goods like jams, teas, gucamole, peanut butters, maple syrup, etc

I went to jumbo a couple of months ago, and the holy grail - Tina - a couple of weeks ago. Both still have imported goods like jams, teas, gucamole, peanut butters, maple syrup, etc
Something I really enjoy - 100% pure / grade A maple syrup. What a treat. I really like it on bacon. Sinfully tasty.

On the subject of gyms, I went and did a couple weeks at the local crossfut but stopped because sooner or later I'd end up getting a staff infection from them never cleaning the place. That and I would see people doing moves with clearly wrong form and the coach never coached them. It wa definitely a way to get hurt.

On the subject of gyms, I went and did a couple weeks at the local crossfut but stopped because sooner or later I'd end up getting a staff infection from them never cleaning the place. That and I would see people doing moves with clearly wrong form and the coach never coached them. It wa definitely a way to get hurt.
J,

Since my high school days, when all of my friends were going to membership based gyms, I was the person exercising at home in my own gym.

Sure, I may not have had the array of equipment one could find in a well appointed gym, but I never waited to use a station, nor did I ever feel disappointment for the enthusiast who came before me and left her / his mess there after moving on. (Mess = sweat / body fluid all over the equipment and space.)

I never had to travel to workout, nor did off hours ever present a problem. My gym was and is open 24 x 7 for me ... to this day.

The one big negative for a home gym vs a membership based workout facility is simply this: SOCIAL INTERACTION.

There is no one to meet or talk with in my home gym. That is a huge trade off for most people. But, the way I have always figured it, I focused on what I was doing without distractions. When it came time to socialize, it was done elsewhere.

I offered Jack Lalanne (Father of the modern fitness movement.) recently in a different post. This person did so much, with so little at times. Just about anyone can emulate what he was about with very little money and a very small space, even in an apartment setting. I am not even sure there would be any noise to make a neighbor unhappy.

As for getting proper coaching, you have a point.

How does one solve this in their own gym? Set up a mirror and or video record your session. Try a few different angles until you have the desired vantage point. After your workout, you can review your activity and critique yourself if you know what you are looking for with respect to proper from / movements. It really works.

My two cents.

Back