Has anybody done a TEFL teaching course in BA?.....

5 years ago, I took a course at "EBC".

It's legitimate.

There were two (at least) legitimate ones in BsAs at that time.

Jimmy_L said:
......Just want someone to let me know if they know a legit one.
I would be interested in the same information. Thanks !

What do you mean by 'legit'?

There are only two EFL qualifications that are recognized worldwide - the Cambridge CELTA and Trinity Cert.TESOL. You can do the CELTA at International House in San Isidro.

pompeygazza said:
What do you mean by 'legit'?

There are only two EFL qualifications that are recognized worldwide - the Cambridge CELTA and Trinity Cert.TESOL. You can do the CELTA at International House in San Isidro.

Good advice - I'd say dont waste your time on anything else but you do need full commitment as the standards are (or should be) high. Usually can be done either FT or PT but if PT then preferably need some sort of on-going teaching position to be able to draw experience/case work from if there is only limited exposure to learners at the teaching centre.

IH is a franchise type operation and possibly highest reputation over other CELTA providers e.g Cactus IMHO

Each IH will be different.

IH in "International Training" (Belgrano) had strongest recommendation from my CELTA teacher (in London not IH) who was the Cambridge External Assessor for South America up to a few years ago.

I was thinking of doing DELTA here which is next qualification up.

Anyone done Delta here in Buenos Aires?

There are also:
IH in Recoleta, (two linked schools in Buenos Aires) plus
IH Belgrano (separate from international training which is in Vuelta de Obligado) as well as the aforementioned San Isidro

I've also done Trinity exams (not Cert.) and I'd say the Cambridge set up is larger more resourced but the standards are equally high.

worth also seeking out the recommendations of the British Council

PhilinBSAS said:
Good advice - I'd say dont waste your time on anything else but you do need full commitment as the standards are (or should be) high. Usually can be done either FT or PT but if PT then preferably need some sort of on-going teaching position to be able to draw experience/case work from if there is only limited exposure to learners at the teaching centre

That's absolutely right. If the course is run properly (no reason to doubt that it is) it's a major commitment that virtually cancels your life for 4/5 weeks. It's expensive too, but worth it.

Any updates on legit TEFL in BA? Is IH the only option in BA?

Is there an American equivalent to some of these certifications through Cambridge and Trinity?

I am in NY and looking for the right certification that will allow me to English teach in BA.

I did mine with BridgeLinguatec in 2007. It's legit. It was fine. No idea what it's like now, though. I'm still friends with the host family I stayed with the one month of the certification and have heard they've changed hands/directors since then. No idea if that's good or bad, though! http://www.bridge.edu/BridgeTEFL

In June of 2007, I took EBC's TEFL course here in Buenos Aires. http://ebc-tefl-course.com/

The instructor at the time taught us how to teach English and we learned all of the grammar that we may have forgotten and/or didn't exactly know how to teach. From starting on Monday to teaching that first Thursday night, we got going quickly. It was a 4 week course and you have 8 practice classes under your belt by the time you graduate. (Thurs/Fri for all 4 weeks.) Then they send your resume out to all of the "language institutes" in the city and you go interview wherever to get some jobs working for paltry sums while you cut your teeth.

Eventually you get your own students and you don't work for institutes anymore, or you only work a few jobs because they're group classes that are paying you a little more and they have 2 to 3 hours in a row lined up in the same location and/or close by.

Here's their BA link: http://ebc-tefl-course.com/tefl-course-buenos-aires-argentina/

Back