Has Bariloche Recovered?

Hasn't this happened before in Bariloche? Or is this the first time that volcano has erupted in the last few decades? I would be interested to see the cleanup efforts in years past when there was much less infrastructure to worry about making presentable.

We are now officially planning our trip to Bariloche this upcoming spring, ash or no ash! We are expecting to see it so it won't come as a surprise. I understand Mother Nature has her ways every so often.

well the good news is that Aerolineas just posted this...

Aerolineas Argentinas and Austral RESUME ITS FLIGHTS TO BARILOCHE
As of September 17, Aerolineas Argentinas and Austral resume flights to San Carlos de Bariloche on a daily basis.
If the presence of volcanic ash again prevent direct flights to Bariloche will be redirected to the airport from the city of Neuquén
---------------------

As far as other volcanoes go, I read that their was one a couple years ago but it didn't do much. My husband says he can't remember ever having a problem with a volcano before. From what I hear they are waiting till after the elections to do some things ( like installing city water down my street, for example) Hopefully now that the worst weather is over they will resume cleaning up. I did see workers today picking up ashes, but then again their is so much of it, it will probabably be around a while. If you need anything just message me : )

Does anyone know what the ash situation is in towns near Bariloche? In general, is the ash just in big piles here and there or is it still blanketing the landscape? If I visit the general area hoping to see beautiful mountain lakes am I just going to see gray muddy water and ash covered lakeshore?

I'm thinking about a visit to Bariloche and the surrounding area in November, probably exploring for about two weeks.

the ash stops at Bariloche, so anything south is good. I'm not sure how the clean up is going north of us but Villa La Angostura got hit worse than us. The lake here is looking good again though.

Can anyone living near Bariloche or who has visited the area recently give an update on the ash situation? I'm thinking of heading that way in a couple weeks.

I don't expect it to be back to the pre-ash days, some ash is to be expected, but if I'm going to see lakes and beaches mottled with gray mud I might head to Mendoza instead.

ok, here is the deal. Downtown looks ok. I haven't stepped foot on any of the beaches yet since this was all during winter, but my own yard looks like a beach. Now that it is drier the ash is drying up and the wind blows it through the air. On really windy days the ash from the volcano is so much somtimes you can't clearly see the mountains and people walk around with masks covereing their nose and mouth. I'm not telling anyone not to come because we need the tourism, but that is what it is like here.

Thanks Nicole, I appreciate the honest info. I've found it hard to get clear info from newspapers and websites about the state of ash on the ground. Earlier you said that Bariloche was the southern limit of the ash, is that still the case? Is a place like El Bolson, for example, mostly unaffected?

We drove to El Bolson and were completely shocked at how the ash stops right at the end of Bariloche. El Bolson is no problem at all.

There are good days and bad days. I had some clients stay at my apartment for a couple of days last week. They arrived a day late because their flight was cancelled and had to take a bus. They has one spectacular day with clear skies (they headed up to Cerro Campanario and did a lake trip to Bosque Arrayanes & Isla Victoria) & one hazy day (ash cloud over Bariloche) they spent an afternoon Kayaking on the lake. They said thay had a great time, I provided them with masks, but they didn't need to use them... they were lucky with the weather (no strong winds on dry days). Other days can be a lot worse.

As Nicole said there was no ash in El Bolson, it only got as far as about 20km to the south on Bariloche so Tronador is clear (to the best of my knowledge) as well - the areas effected by the ash (Bariloche in the bottom left)

jez-albums-bariloche-picture523-areas-effected-ash-volcano-puyehue-volcano.jpg

source: http://www.inta.gov.ar/bariloche/actual/erupcionpuyehue/info.htm

The daily situation: (this image should update daily - check the date at the bottom)
movie10000.gif

Back