Has BsAs changed much since 2005?

I am surprised that people who posted in 2005 have not replied much on their "matured" perspective on BA circa 2007.
I have heard people long of years past and bygone years - and I was just wondering what I missed in 2005 as an expat in BA, that was why I was asking.

"Grazie" said:
I am surprised that people who posted in 2005 have not replied much on their "matured" perspective on BA circa 2007.
I have heard people long of years past and bygone years - and I was just wondering what I missed in 2005 as an expat in BA, that was why I was asking.
BA in 2005 was fun, relativly safe, lot´s of party and still cheap.
BA in 2007 is a lot different

the few things I notice are,
they painted the casa rosada a horrid shade of pink,
they have closed the colon for restructure, hope they do a good job,
its almost impossible to get decent tickets for the open because they are bought up by scouts months ahead,
the hospital Austral is no longer as good as it was pre 2005. Now it is overcrowed and appointments are a nightmare.
oh! it snows in July!

In 2005 it was fun to go tango dancing. Now so many of the milongas are so freaking overrun with foreigners and expats, you might as well be dancing in St. Louis or London. It's kind of hypocritical of me to say that, since I am an expat who likes (or liked) to go to the milongas, and hence I am part of the problem. Nonetheless, that is something about BA that has changed in my eyes...it is no longer so much fun to go tango dancing here. (On the other hand, the downslide of the milongas has induced me to go out and find other interesting things to do at night, and some of what I've found is pretty cool and to some extent compensates for not going to milongas so much these days.)

"VMSmith" said:
In 2005 it was fun to go tango dancing. Now so many of the milongas are so freaking overrun with foreigners and expats, you might as well be dancing in St. Louis or London. It's kind of hypocritical of me to say that, since I am an expat who likes (or liked) to go to the milongas, and hence I am part of the problem. Nonetheless, that is something about BA that has changed in my eyes...it is no longer so much fun to go tango dancing here.
(On the other hand, the downslide of the milongas has induced me to go out and find other interesting things to do at night, and some of what I've found is pretty cool and to some extent compensates for not going to milongas so much these days.)
Like what do you like to do?
Anybody has an advice for a cena show where there are not so many foreigners?
Otherwise it would probally be Ché Tango in Puerto Madero

My interest obviously centres around the milongas. I first came to BsAs in 2004, but this year I have seen a significant reduction in the people at milongas. I see many more tourists, and the people I see at the big milongas are either non dancers or are there to show off. Thankfully they seem to stick to the likes of Ideal. The last time I was there, there was a group trying to dance around in flipflops.
The entrance fees have also gone up considerably. Not a problem for extranjeros but it means the good local dancers now go elsewhere or stay at home.

How has Argentina changed since 2005? The kidnappings have really slowed down and prices have been soaring. So good news and bad news.
However, some things haven't changed (counterfeit money with the govt. doing nothing about it, the deafening noise and streets choked with pollution with govt.doing nothing, the broken sidewalks,etc, the amount of pollution thats allowed to flow into the river--the city's water source)

JG-Don't forget the dog crap everywhere that the owners don't pick up even though its a law (like that means anything).In 2003 a bag of cat litter was 1.90. Today the same bag is 6.50. Yeah things have improved greatly. You pay alot more for a whole lot less and quality continues to decline. I also think all the decent meat goes for export now. I've had many a bad steaks lately in so-called upscale restaraunts where you also have to beg for pepper of course...

Back