Has BsAs changed much since 2005?

My girlfriend, Virginia, left Argentina for Greece in 2005 and returned in 2007. Pros and cons from a local portenios' perspective follows:*Prices are more than double. *More work for people and more help wanted signs in local shops.*Cannot find coins now for public transport. Was not a problem before.
*Capital Federal is very dirty. Use to be a lot cleaner.
*Cartoneros are better organized (good or bad?)*A lot more tourism and associated tourist industry.
*Public transport poorly maintained (Trains and Buses outside the city)

"VMSmith" said:
In 2005 it was fun to go tango dancing. Now so many of the milongas are so freaking overrun with foreigners and expats, you might as well be dancing in St. Louis or London. It's kind of hypocritical of me to say that, since I am an expat who likes (or liked) to go to the milongas, and hence I am part of the problem. Nonetheless, that is something about BA that has changed in my eyes...it is no longer so much fun to go tango dancing here. (On the other hand, the downslide of the milongas has induced me to go out and find other interesting things to do at night, and some of what I've found is pretty cool and to some extent compensates for not going to milongas so much these days.)
There are still plenty of traditional Milongas to be found such as Sunderland Club. However, I prefer the underground Milongas of El Beso and Caterderal.

Something I forgot to mention: The Girls have got fatter. Could this be because of all the fast food Joints?

"tangobob" said:
Something I forgot to mention: The Girls have got fatter. Could this be because of all the fast food Joints?

If that´s the case it´s either 1) They have more money to spend on foodand/or2) Fruits and vegtables are expensive

"tangobob" said:
This is an epidemic in all countries that are not starving. Europe is getting fatter too! Having lived in Spain, Italy, and Greece, I can compare and contrast todays society to that of 10 years ago. Yep, the world is getting fatter. Thank you McDonalds and Globalization. No need to cook when you can buy pre-packaged food and microwave! (Reminds me of an anti-McDonalds advertisement I saw recently: Going to McDonalds for a Salad is like going to a Crackhouse for vitamins.)

One last thing... Look around. Did you see so much construction 5 years ago? True, inflation is out of control but people are working and putting food on the table. 5 years ago there was more crime to survive. While crime still exists, everywhere, it is by hard-core criminals, not to feed families. Cheers - BKB

"Granadaiscool" said:

If that´s the case it´s either
1) They have more money to spend on food
and/or
2) Fruits and vegtables are expensive
I think it is more a cultural thing, as mitscerman said it is happening in all industrialised countries, the american influence, fast food, and not needing to cook.
Young people need somewhere to meet, and these days it's as likeky to be Macdonalds as anywhere. I had hoped that with strong family ties an already strong cafe culture and most of all excellent cooking, I was hoping that this was one epedimic that would pass Argentina by.

Actually one of the culprits according to numerous studies is the replacement of sugar with Hig Fructose Corn Syrup. It is used in every package of cookies, every Coca-Cola, every type of jam, pretty much anything that is sweet.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A8003-2003Mar10?language=printer
Most grocery stores here have minimum two full aisles dedicated to cookies, chips, cakes, chocolate, pop (soda for you Americans), etc etc. Then they have another section dedicated to sugar. Then they have the section for all the mixes for cakes and brownies etc. Then they have all the bins by the cash register for the candies. Oh and I forgot the Manticol section. And I still don't get what you're supposed to do with the jellied stuff that you see (looks like fat) -- my boyfriend said you use it to make some sort of dessert -- what the hell is that stuff??
Oh and then there's the starch section -- pasta pasta pasta rice rice rice polenta polenta polenta. No wonder my fridge is empty most of the time, when I go to the grocery store half the time I can't find the FOOD!!!

There is alittle old lady sits on the pavement (sidewalk) on Scalabrini Ortiz just up from Carrefor, selling fresh vegitables for an extremely low price. I have never seen anyone buy from her. So if you want fresh food there it is, and at least she is not begging, though God alone knows how she manages to live on what she makes.

"tangobob" said:

If that´s the case it´s either
1) They have more money to spend on food
and/or
2) Fruits and vegtables are expensive

Young people need somewhere to meet, and these days it's as likeky to be Macdonalds as anywhere. I had hoped that with strong family ties an already strong cafe culture and most of all excellent cooking, I was hoping that this was one epedimic that would pass Argentina by.
McDonalds or burger King in Argentina is expensive. A minimal menu is about 10-12 peso. Most people have to work 2-3 hours for that. It´s a luxury, not really accesible.
I think it is more a cultural thing, as mitscerman said it is happening in all industrialised countries, the american influence, fast food, and not needing to cook.

Back