Has It Always Been So Bad?

this huge lack of respect to any other human living person in Argentina, the whole crap of electricity cuts during so many months, the incredible inflation, the crap of services and goods, the fact that everything is difficult and annoying in Argentina made me go away after 3 years I returned to BsArs after living 37 years outside.
Now I've to be regularly in BsArs for work and family-business but I try to spend no more than 3 or 4 weeks at max.
Is it always been so bad? Yes, the last 20, 30 years, absolutely. And it won't get any better.

It's very sad! And I don't see it getting much better! After I was stabbed last year, I have really thought about my prolonged stays here. As in most major cities, one must always be on one's guard but it's not only in the city as we have read in the above-posted comments! Not every one has the option of leaving but when one does, it might be an option. In Prague, I live a stress-free (basically) life; when I land at Ezeiza, it rapidly comes back! A very sad feeling and comment to make!

Mariano:
At this point in time and with the present gov't I would say it's,"Don't move,improve"
I'm from the U.S. and I am in my 37 year here.It is and it will continue to get better but Argentines have to work at that as a group and less as sollitary individuals
Keep monitoring the situation
I probably shouldn't ask but I'm going to anyway,where have you been living for those last 37 years?

Noesdeayer: I was mainly in the Netherlands, I've been living since I was 12 y here and if it wasn't for the weather it's the greatest place to live in. and I lived also in South Africa, Central America and Spain. And now planning to live in Spain again: it's a Western country, with European standards, cheaper than northern Europe, good private health care. Have stil to find out where I'm going to live.
And Argentina...even with a change in g'ment doesn't change a bit, I see the country constantly in decline 'cause of the lack of good politicians, weird choices in elections, lack of civic education. And all in a inflationary marathon. Not a great place to live in!

And now planning to live in Spain again: it's a Western country, with European standards, cheaper than northern Europe, good private health care. Have stil to find out where I'm going to live.

We've been looking into Spain, as well. A friend of ours (Argentine) recently moved from Ireland to Malaga and talks very well about it. Not as efficient as the Eastern Costa Brava, but still fits the bill you mentioned. We are considering the southern Spanish coast for the weather, the costs of living and the people. I have never been outside of Barcelona so I don't really know what to imagine, but as long as I am within reasonable distance from an airport, can live in a house with a garden and keep my windows open, I am fine.

I have been surprised by the low price of houses in Liguria (Italy), as long as you are not on the boulevards but accept to live in the interior part of Liguria, prices are okay. Excellent food and awesome nature and landscapes. The only drawback is that it is under the Italian law, so we don't even consider it.

You guys dont know how good you got it.
This is a post on facebook today from somebody I know who lives in a pretty nice residential neighborhood in Seattle- sort of Belgrano R kind of place.

"I am tired of the crack heads and junkies in my alley, smoking, shooting up, leaving garbage and yelling. I stepped on a syringe going down to the light Rail today. (At least clean up your dangerous garbage.) A child could have picked it up. Ugh. I don't know what to do. Calling the police doesn't help anyone, or stop anything. It probably just makes a bad situation worse in ways I don't even know about. There are two out there now smoking-- I did something truly out of character-- I threw an empty milk carton at them. It's true, I did. I yelled "Go Home," but I think the alley is their home. I don't know what to do or what to think or what to feel. There is no answer or solution available. And it is heartbreaking to think of wasting your one precious life shooting up in an alley."

the epidemic of homeless, drug addicts, alcoholics, untreated mentally ill, jobless veterans, and people who cant get a job because of minor drug arrests 20 years ago, in the USA, is unbelievable these days.
I was working in downtown Phoenix a few years ago, and needed to go to a business just a few blocks south of downtown, right next to a Mission that gave out food, and came upon 500 homeless people, all waiting, with their shopping carts and bags full of belongings, for lunch. It was like a medieval city, amputees, old people, children- there is simply no comparison to the occasional sleeper on the sidewalk in Bs As.

Back