Has It Always Been So Bad?

They are both breath taking in this little corner of conservative Spain.

Thanks for your very interesting information fifs2. I'm starting in Barcelona for 1,5 month, renting a room or flat of Air Bnb and if I don't feel right in my place there I'll look further. Just as you did. But I won't spend two years on that 'cause I'm single and alone and the only cry high criteria for me is that the region or city is well communicated with the rest of Europe and it has something like a interesting cultural life. Barcelona has it all, but it fails in one point: affordable rents, the average is 900 euros. I could spend that but I spend my money better in traveling.

Talking about that: who do you manage to live in such conservative and christian area like Jerez? Or doesn't it affects you?

Thanks for your very interesting information fifs2. I'm starting in Barcelona for 1,5 month, renting a room or flat of Air Bnb and if I don't feel right in my place there I'll look further. Just as you did. But I won't spend two years on that 'cause I'm single and alone and the only cry high criteria for me is that the region or city is well communicated with the rest of Europe and it has something like a interesting cultural life. Barcelona has it all, but it fails in one point: affordable rents, the average is 900 euros. I could spend that but I spend my money better in traveling.

Talking about that: who do you manage to live in such conservative and christian area like Jerez? Or doesn't it affects you?

Well let me not deceive you as Jerez is conservative in terms of tradition but religion is really is no longer binding. The streets are filled with penitents come Easter week (my own younger son will be a penitent this year in San Lucar even though we are Protestant/Lutheran) but the church has less hold morally and more culturally so it´s it´s more a celebration of religious events with a good excuse for a party than a self flagellation. I call Jerez conservative because it cleaves to the old ideal of Sunday closing for shops, afternoon siesta, celebration of lent (cuaresma) but for my group of friends Jerez is an modern as Bsas - gay marriage (my hairdresser, my best friend´s brother, my cleaner... You can feel and admire the antiquity of the city but live free of any constraints whilst admiring the commitment to the brotherhoods.

So... these should cover blowing a large hole in a "uninvited guest" coming in my house via my terraza day or night.

No. Not this one.
The escalamiento nocturno de morada (night climbing of your home) that includes any kind of intrusion during night of your home, is a legal permission to kill no question asked.

Unless the prosecutor is an idiot, the judge don't even want to listen to you in those cases and the police just clean the mess.

Bajo_cero2:
Why don't you drop around to the Juarteche meetings at Bolivar & Brasil some Friday evening and tell the "vecinos porteños" there what you told me about the San Telmo streets.I wonder how long you would last before they heaved you out.
Most of the people who walk the streets of San Telmo are Argentine
Que falta de respeto a los mismos argentinos,por Dios!

Get informed. Read some history about San Telmo and then we talk.

Bajo_Cero::
I am very well informed about San Telmo and most of Argentina and Latin America in general.I suggeted that you aome to San Telmo IN PERSON and tell some Argentine neighbors to their face what you told me about their neighborhood (barrio).
Eso,si te da el cuero.Pero francamente creo que no se te lo vaya a dar ni para contestarme adecuadamente lo que te
dije.

montcat is affordable, great and close to Barcelona.

Back