Has The Temporary Apartment Market In Bsas Changed?

polostar88

Registered
I'm trying to find an apartment on craigslist and by other means. Am I getting a wrong impression, or has the market shifted in a way that's not favorable to us?

Craigslist is unusable at the moment. I don't know if this is because there are in fact fewer apartments than before or if it's because agencies have spammed it to the point where you can't find anything anymore. Maybe a little of both, but I'm concerned to find out if the supply of good apartments is less than, say, in 2010 or even 2015, and if they're more expensive than they used to be.

There seems to be much less selection and most of it not very good. There are almost NO apartments listed by owner.

I also find the practice of asking "commission" on every ad to be absurd. As the renter it doesn't matter to me if what I'm paying is rent or commission. It leaves you with confusion as you never know what the final price will be and it leads to wasting everyone's time.

Prices are up but I would go the airbnb route.

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Buenos-Aires-Province--Argentina/homes?allow_override%5B%5D=&checkin=2017-11-01&checkout=2018-02-28&s_tag=UK8TWyke&section_offset=2

Airbnb usually has inflated rates compared to other resources. I'm wondering, if the price has gone up or the market has changed, what the cause could be. Is there a larger number of expats renting apartments by the month? More foreign students? What's happening.

Frightened foreigners who had invested in Argentina a decade ago started selling their properties because they were afraid of another Argentinean crisis.
Locals who needed to import their capitals under the blanqueo started buying them and moved there to live.

Also, Argentina is not very appealing to people in search for a cheap lifestyle. Under the Ks a lot of foreigners from first countries came here just because it was cheap. Once it is no longer cheap, they fly somewhere else.

You can still find inexpensive temporary aparments. I love San Telmo, so I use Casa San Telmo. There are still a few under 800.00$ a month ,utilities included. I find Air BNBto be very expensive.

The price of apt rentals (and sales) may have risen dramatically lately for those living on foreign currency principally because the rate of exchange has been flat while inflation continues apace (though perhaps at a somewhat slower pace). Nevertheless, cost is relative. I would venture a guess that a decent apt in a good Bs As neighborhood, e.g. Barrio Norte, Palermo, etc would cost about 1/3 what a similar apt would cost in NY or London or a bunch of other capital cities.

The price of apt rentals (and sales) may have risen dramatically lately for those living on foreign currency principally because the rate of exchange has been flat while inflation continues apace (though perhaps at a somewhat slower pace). Nevertheless, cost is relative.

Inflation does not set house prices. House prices are set by what people can pay. Do Argentines earn now more in dollars than before? If so, this may increase house prices. Otherwise, house owners may try to keep asking higher prices, but will eventually be limited in doing so.

Back