Having a surprisingly hard time selling an iPhone in CABA

If you can't find a buyer it means you are asking too much.It's a supply / demand issue. Middle-upper class travels to Miami all the time and buy their iPhones there. Lower-middle class usually have androids or second hand iPhones -- they cannot afford to buy a brand new one. Thats why it's easier to sell used electronics here than new ones.
Orrrr... if they are fans of android then they buy the S series which can be significantly cheaper here. I saw the foldable phone here for like 800 cheaper than the US. I don't think even Samsung themselves could sell an 1800 phone at the same price here.

The iPhone is looked at differently because it is above msrp here.

iPhone 13 pro (not max) is available here for USD 1260 or 1360 depending on memory (128/256GB). Not going to be much interest selling at USD 1500.

I got airpods pro for 33.000 pesos ~160 dollars from mercadolibre a month ago. Same price and eve a few bucks cheaper than the US.

I got airpods pro for 33.000 pesos ~160 dollars from mercadolibre a month ago. Same price and eve a few bucks cheaper than the US.
This has happened a couple of times for me too, I bought a Samsung tablet here for $90 cheaper than in the US, and same with some PC parts.

I phones are imported at official usd exchange and sold in pesos. In my case I’m Responsable Inscripto so I have a cash back of 55% in taxes. Employed do not buy high end mobiles. This is why you are too expensive.

Argentine dealers sometimes can only get factory seconds - same for Uruguay. Top products go to developed countries.

I just saw a post on FB's BA Expat Hub. Someone is looking for an Iphone and wants to buy it today! His must have been stolen.

I recently bought a new iPhone 13 Pro abroad. I was selling my old iPhone X and from a quick search on ML before leaving, I should have been able to make 500 USD from it. When I finally returned to Argentina, I started advertising it for that price, but there wasn't the slightest interest. Not even among our small circle of local friends. It is simply too much money for the average Argentinians, and they can get a hell of a Samsung for that money (with warranty, installments, and from a reputable store).
In the end it was sold for about 400 USD, which is still a lot of money and more than it would have sold abroad or what Apple would have given me if I had turned it in when I purchased my new phone. However, it took some time (two weeks) and a lot of tribulations on payment and weeding off time wasters and scammers.
It is not an endeavor I would recommend to a foreigner.

The best crowd willing to make that kind of purchase is a desperate one, expats whose electronics broke down/ was stolen and are hungry for new ones, have enough funds, and can even pay you abroad.

Back