Health care insurance in the USA

Katherine, if it makes you feel any better there is good medical care in BA. Try IADT. Instituto Argentino de Diagnostico y Tratamiento for one. I still say that it is better to go to a major teaching hospital in the US if you can but if not, you are in pretty good hands at IADT. I know what you mean about not following procedures at some medical facilities in BA. A friend of mine got bed sores at the Hospital Aleman. That was inexcusable. She needed cancer treatment but the hospital did not have the facilities so they had to take her in an ambulance every day to another clinic with whom they had some arrangement. Moving her was so painful that after a couple of treatments she gave up. As her medical plan was limited to Hospital Aleman she could not go elsewhere. That's a good reason to AVOID health care plans that limit you to ONE hospital. Dudster, I will not argue about greed in the US medical profession. It's true. Argentina is not morally superior in this respect, though. Argentine doctors would love to earn what American doctors earn but they can't -- not that they are so morally high minded, the system is just not big enough, the country is not rich enough to support it. I know a number of Argentine doctors who have left for the US, by the way. Motivation? Money and better working conditions. Don't kid yourself about that.

clooz said:
A little evidence of the greed at Blue Cross of California was revealed by an LA Times series in 2009. In a nutshell the policy there is to cancel the insurance of anyone who develops an expensive illness, like breast cancer, using any small excuse from the contract.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/jun/17/business/fi-rescind17

I know that there is greed. I know that the system is flawed. I am sad that Obama was not able to make any real change other than force Americans to buy insurance that many can not afford as it is. I was pointing out that if you have good coverage you can get excellent care. I made the point that when I thought I needed surgery I was looking into costs at the best hospitals in the US despite being covered in Argentina. That's all. People go to the US from all over the world seeking the best medical care. For those with coverage, the system works very well despite some problems. If you have the money in Argentina you can get good care but for certain things it may be wiser to go to the US or another leading country where standards are higher. Now I will end with this question: if you are diagnosed with a serious problem and have a choice of treatment, where are you going to go -- Argentina or the US? Assume that costs are not a factor. Can you honestly say that Argentina is better?

sergio said:
If you are diagnosed with a serious problem and have a choice of treatment, where are you going to go -- Argentina or the US? Assume that costs are not a factor. Can you honestly say that Argentina is better?

If money were no object, of course the care in the US is better, but the biggest problem for most people is *access* to health care and accessibility of health insurance (including high premiums, etc.). The best thing about it in Argentina is its accessability (that answer will vary certainly depending on why you're seeking healthcare as certain things. Childbirth, for example, has a very high level of care and are very accessible. Serious illnesses, I'm not so confident) and relative affordability.

sergio said:
I know that there is greed. I know that the system is flawed. I am sad that Obama was not able to make any real change other than force Americans to buy insurance that many can not afford as it is. I was pointing out that if you have good coverage you can get excellent care. I made the point that when I thought I needed surgery I was looking into costs at the best hospitals in the US despite being covered in Argentina. That's all. People go to the US from all over the world seeking the best medical care. For those with coverage, the system works very well despite some problems. If you have the money in Argentina you can get good care but for certain things it may be wiser to go to the US or another leading country where standards are higher. Now I will end with this question: if you are diagnosed with a serious problem and have a choice of treatment, where are you going to go -- Argentina or the US? Assume that costs are not a factor. Can you honestly say that Argentina is better?

I think you pretty much hit it on the head. And I agree with pretty much everything you've said. For instance, for surgeries and such there is no question that I trust the US system over the Argentine one. However one really must qualify the sentence I've highlighted in bold. For those with good coverage in the US the system works great. For those with average coverage, the system becomes a whole different beast. The difference in quality between an HMO and PPO in the US is astounding. I've had both and would never ever opt for an HMO again. In some cases it really can be the difference between life and death. The quality of doctors and your choices really amazes me.

As for which system is better? I don't know. I was simply trying to point out in a sort of tongue and cheek way that the US system is flawed if you are not wealthy. I do know that if I was rich I would prefer receiving healthcare in the US over any other country in the world.

Back