health care

TarHeelBluze

Registered
I'd like to see a doctor about a concern I have, and was curious the best way to do so. I think I had heard that it might be free? If not, how does one go about finding a general practitioner, and any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

If you want a "free" consultation go to the Hospital de las Clinicas in Recoleta at Cordoba and Juriburu...and go early. They will see you without charge. Bring your passport. It's OK if you are here as a tourist. If you want to go to a doctors office you will be expected to pay. $100 pesos was what I paid to see a doctor at his office in 2006 before I enrolled in a private plan. $150-$200 might be more appropriate now, but I'm not sure.

Perhaps someone here will suggest a specific doctor for you and also update the estimated fee for the office visit.

Do the doctors here generally speak English? I'm hesitant to try a free hospital if I have to figure everything out in Spanish.

cochese said:
Do the doctors here generally speak English? I'm hesitant to try a free hospital if I have to figure everything out in Spanish.

No. Doctors in free hospitals do not generally speak English. I use:

Clinica Bazterrica
Juncal 3002 (Juncal y Billinghurst)
4821-1600

Ask for an English speaking doctor. The most frustrating part of the experience is speaking with receptionists who do not speak English, as a rule..but they do have English speaking MD's on staff and they do see individuals who are not a part of their plan....

TarHeelBluze said:
I'd like to see a doctor about a concern I have, and was curious the best way to do so. I think I had heard that it might be free? If not, how does one go about finding a general practitioner, and any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

My Argentine partner and her mother have gone to the Hospital Italiano de Buenos Aires for many years, and consider it to be "the best." They are enrolled in the hospital's health insurance plan, but you can see a doctor without insurance - I believe it would cost about 200 pesos.

starlucia said:
My Argentine partner and her mother have gone to the Hospital Italiano de Buenos Aires for many years, and consider it to be "the best." They are enrolled in the hospital's health insurance plan, but you can see a doctor without insurance - I believe it would cost about 200 pesos.

Sorry to say I live close to Italian and whilst it offers great care at any level it is so so busy as they take very many low level heath plans which means the waiting time is 3-6 hours on average. As a result I upgraded my OSDE to 310 and now go the Otamendi where the waiting time is 10-15 minutes in the guardia and every doctor speaks English. Both hospitals are excellent and cheap by Irish standards so I consider myself lucky to have access to both.

If your Spanish is truly rudimentary or nonexistent, I suggest you use the Google translate to at least write something down for the receptionist along the lines of "I need to see X type of doctor (x=orthopedics, oncologist, whatever), that speaks English." Unless you get a specific Doctor's name in which case write that down.

I have heard very good things about Otamendi as well, but it sounds like you are looking for a consult. It might help, without revealing too much, asking on the board for which specialty you are looking for, or general practitioner. I am sure someone on the board has a "great doctor" to direct you to.

Personally, we have experience with Mater Dei (it's a private hospital). reception in Emergency did not speak English, but they got us a resident Doc that did and she was great. Pediatrics though so not sure if that helps.

Back