Health Insurance for Old Gringos

Thanks to all for all the info.
I recently applied to Medicus but because of having had heart surgery- a major pre-existing condition- was told that I would not be able to be insured here by private companies. But that the law concerning this was up for vote this year- April-ish- and that it would probably change to allow pre-existing conditions Anyone know any more about that?

I heard hospital Italia will take you, older with conditions.
Nancy

In my case, I told the "truth" about my pre-existing condition the first time I applied for Medicus, but they turned me down. When I applied for Swiss Medical, I decided not to say anything about the pre-existing condition. It has been 4 years now and no one ever said anything, even if it is obvious that I had diabetes prior to joining the health plan.

In this case the truth will not set you free or get you insurance. I don't like it, but it works.

I thought of that, but if, in my case, if I have heart problems again and they discover I lied, not only will they not cover whatever costs are incurred, (The original surgery went over US$300,000.00) but can also take me to court. It's a risk. It's great that there is free medical care here. The quality of the doctors and surgeons in the public hospitals is topnotch. The facilities are not, and there is the waiting thing, and I'm from the US, hence spoiled.

Ive been in Galeno and now in Hospital Italiano, I´m 65 going on 66 and had no problem. The only drag may be pre-existing conditions. They really frown when you say somthing about a bypass. Galeno price jumped at 65 but at 62 it was reasonable.

Someone I know who is 64 just got her monthly bill from Hospital Italiano. It was about $675 pesos. The amount went up because she will turn 65 this year. She signed up two years ago at age 63.

Back