Healthcare in S America

preuben

Registered
Hi my nae is Reuben and I'm new to this group. My partner and I are planning on moving part time to S America and wanted to get some advice form the pro's concerning healthcare. Our questions are:
Costs?
Who is the best provider?
Is there someone we can contact that speaks english to investigate actual coverage?
What pitfalls should we be looking for?
Does the coverage also cover medicine(s) should we need it?
Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance and I'm looking forward to hearing your responses.

Reuben

Hi Ruben, The first way to avoid "pitfalls" in Argentina is to learn to speak Spanish. This will prove especially true when trying to buy an appartment or other major consumer goods. You can expect to pay at least 15% more if you aren't able to "dicker"....or able to read the ads in the paper offering discounts if you pay with a credit card (it's safe to do so).
Fortunately, you won't be singled out if you don't speak Spanish when buying health coverage, but don't expect the sales representatives to speak English (some may). I spent a couple years learning BASIC Spanish before moving south of the border, and have really picked up a lot more here. Anyway, private health care in Argentina is good and reasonably priced compared to the US. I am a 57 y.o. male paying about $250USD per month here for FULL coverage...and that includes all office visits, lab tests, xrays, ultrasound, mri's, surgery (including organ transplant if necessary and even cosmetic surgery once every three years), basic dental (not crowns or implants), and a 40% discount on medicine's (which are much cheaper here in the first place). There are NO deductibles or co-payments. I was paying BC/BS the same rate in Illinois for basic surgery/hospital coverage with a 20% co-pay...($5,000 per year out of pocket max).

The name of my provider is Omint. There are others, but I am very happy. I have "linea 0" and that also includes $20K USD coverage when I am out of Argentina....

Perhaps the most important reason to be able to speak Spanish here is if you need to talk to a doctor about an actual health problem and there aren't any English speaking doctors present (though many do speak English). My Spanish is far from perfect, but I have been able to communicate pretty well with the doctors and nurses here when there was no English option. I have had all of the exams and tests I should have for my age...tests I avoided in the USA because of the additional (and very high) costs. Fortunately, all of the test results have been good. I've also received a great level of physical therapy for some minor injuries suffered in a car accident. If you have additional questions please post them here.Suerte!

Steve

Thanks Steve,
I appreciate your getting back to me. I'll look into the company you mentioned.

Thanks
Reuben

Dear Reuben,
Argentina has some of the best medical doctors and health facilities in the world.

With insurance premiums reaching astronomic levels in almost every country in the world, the good news is that excellent coverage is available in Argentina at much more reasonable prices.

My name is Aurora Couretot. I have been an advisor for Swiss Medical since 2000. I speak fluent English and specialize in guiding foreigners to select the health insurance coverage most appropriate for their individual needs, and in explaining the medical possibilities and processes.

Swiss Medical Health Coverage

Our typical medical plans include:
- Free doctor visits in every specialty
- Free medical tests
- Free hospitalization
- Free emergency coverage
- Free dental coverage
- 40% discount for medications purchased in pharmacies
- Free medication during hospitalization
- Psychiatric visits at doctor's office
- National and international travel coverage including legal assistance

A substantial and comprehensive range of doctors, hospitals and treatment centres are provided in all plans. Network medical facilities are among the best in the world; many are recipients of the top rankings for their diagnostic and medical procedures.

We can arrange a meeting by email. As soon as you arrive I can visit you at your place or we can meet at my office.
Best regards,

Dr. Aurora Couretot (fluent in English)
SWISS MEDICAL
Official Representative
4 963 8833
15 6180 1556
[email protected]

Health care related email thread, reply and open questions. I sent this out to several reps in Buenos Aires: Hi there,

My wife and I are moving to B.A. in March.

My
wife is bipolar and currently is prescribed Lamictal, Trazodone,
Geodon, and Effexor. She also is prescribed Clonazepam and Ritalin, but
she doesn't take these daily as they are only "as needed."

I am prescribed Zoloft and Ritalin.

I have a couple
questions about the health care that we will receive down there and the
costs of the health care. Are there any plans that will allow us to
keep getting the medication that we are used to?

Also, for people suffering from Bipolar, if she has a manic
episode, is there any sort of safe overnight hospitalization for her to
keep her from hurting herself? How is mental health care in B.A.?

Next,
my wife and I will end up needing some dental work done, is there a
plan that includes this? Lastly, I wear glasses, is there a plan that
includes vision?

Please let me know. I understand that there are several levels of
care in Buenos Aires: Public, Mutuals or Social, and Private. I just
want to know which would be the best for us and the least expensive
options.

I also understand that my private insurance options include Swiss
Medical, Medicus, Galeno, Docthos (which I think is Swiss Medical) or
OSDE.

Please let me know what I can do here to help smooth our transition to Argentina.

Thank you for your help in advance,
Joshua Sommer

Hi Joshua, I´m sorry to inform that bipolar is a preexistence that the
insure health here in Argentine don´t cover.

Sinceresly

BeatrizBEATRIZ TORT
CELULAR 15-5423-3346
RADIO MENSAJE 4377-8993
AGENCIA SANISIDRO 4743-2141 5788-0139
[email protected]So, my question is, is there any way around this? I'd really like to have health care for myself and my wife lined up before we arrive in B.A. Anyone? Best,Josh

Hi There- My name is Martin and I'm an American who moved here a year ago and started an expat group called Expat Connection. We've grown quickly to now have over 1,000 members and host all sorts of social and educational events in BA from Happy Hours and a Super Bowl Party to Real Estate Seminars. We also have negotiated a very substantial group discount for our members with one of the leading medical insurance companies here that can save you $4,000 pesos a year and get you 60% off their regular premiums. The plans all include dental coverage and international coverage for up to 60 days at a time. If you would like additional information on our activities or the insurance plans drop us an email @ [email protected] and visit our website @ www.expat-connection.com.

Hi Martin and Schef4711, Thanks for your replies, however I cannot see how www.expat-connection.com.
will help my situation. Would we need to reveal that my wife was diagnosed as bipolar, or just avoid mentioning it? Also what would the monthly costs be per person?Thanks,Josh

I also have experience using the public hospitals in buenos aires if anyone is interested in hearing about it. write me and ill tell you more.
recently ive used the one near my apt. and so far have been pleased. on the flip side, someone suggested i use hospital de clinicas, a major one in barrio norte with supposedly talented docs. Well, i wish i had a camera with me. i cant believe the appalling things i saw and have not been back. 60 minutes would have a field day with that hospital.

"flotsam2000" said:
Health care related email thread, reply and open questions. I sent this out to several reps in Buenos Aires: Hi there,

My wife and I are moving to B.A. in March.

My

wife is bipolar and currently is prescribed Lamictal, Trazodone,

Geodon, and Effexor. She also is prescribed Clonazepam and Ritalin, but

she doesn't take these daily as they are only "as needed."

I am prescribed Zoloft and Ritalin.

I have a couple

questions about the health care that we will receive down there and the

costs of the health care. Are there any plans that will allow us to

keep getting the medication that we are used to?

Also, for people suffering from Bipolar, if she has a manic

episode, is there any sort of safe overnight hospitalization for her to

keep her from hurting herself? How is mental health care in B.A.?

Next,

my wife and I will end up needing some dental work done, is there a

plan that includes this? Lastly, I wear glasses, is there a plan that

includes vision?

Please let me know. I understand that there are several levels of

care in Buenos Aires: Public, Mutuals or Social, and Private. I just

want to know which would be the best for us and the least expensive

options.

I also understand that my private insurance options include Swiss

Medical, Medicus, Galeno, Docthos (which I think is Swiss Medical) or

OSDE.

Please let me know what I can do here to help smooth our transition to Argentina.

Thank you for your help in advance,
Joshua Sommer

Hi Joshua, I´m sorry to inform that bipolar is a preexistence that the
insure health here in Argentine don´t cover.

Sinceresly

BeatrizBEATRIZ TORT
CELULAR 15-5423-3346
RADIO MENSAJE 4377-8993
AGENCIA SANISIDRO 4743-2141 5788-0139
[email protected]So, my question is, is there any way around this? I'd really like to have health care for myself and my wife lined up before we arrive in B.A. Anyone? Best,Josh
I just sent you a PM
nik

Back