Hear you got some power problems down there

Pensador

Registered
A friend of mine told the power was out for like 6 hours today in his part of the capital. Damn, that sucks!

Every year we are urged by the government to reduce our energy consumption, but so many don't listen, like my downstairs neighbor. I was distributing the Edesur bills to the other 15 apartments and noticed that her bill was $13 for December. How could that be when she leaves lights on in the apartment all day while she and her partner are not at home? And there are five lights on in the 40m garden area for hours at night (20 hs until as late as 1 hs) while they are inside the apartment. There's no energy conservation going on here. Yet my bill was $67 (with only a small refrigerator and notebook) and hers was so much less. Why?

There are two tarifas: residential and social. The social tariff mainly applies to those living on the minimum retirement income. One other category applies: discapacitado (disabled or handicapped). This neighbor wears a hearing aide and is legally deaf from a condition caused by prolonged exposure to loud noise. So she has the social tariff from Edesur and pays almost nothing while she consumes more than anyone in our building. She installed a jacuzzi in the garden without permission from the consorcio that uses more electricity to run the jets.

She and her partner turn on the hallway lights when entering the building. That means ten lights on three levels are on for one minute. It takes them about 15 seconds to reach the apartment door when there is natural light in the hallway most of the day. Speaking to them about this habit is like talking to a wall. I don't turn on the hallway lights, yet I pay for those who do. We pay Edesur for this energy consumption in our expenses.

There are two kinds of people: conscious and unconscious.

Every year we are urged by the government to reduce our energy consumption, but so many don't listen, like my downstairs neighbor. I was distributing the Edesur bills to the other 15 apartments and noticed that her bill was $13 for December. How could that be when she leaves lights on in the apartment all day while she and her partner are not at home? And there are five lights on in the 40m garden area for hours at night (20 hs until as late as 1 hs) while they are inside the apartment. There's no energy conservation going on here. Yet my bill was $67 (with only a small refrigerator and notebook) and hers was so much less. Why?

There are two tarifas: residential and social. The social tariff mainly applies to those living on the minimum retirement income. One other category applies: discapacitado (disabled or handicapped). This neighbor wears a hearing aide and is legally deaf from a condition caused by prolonged exposure to loud noise. So she has the social tariff from Edesur and pays almost nothing while she consumes more than anyone in our building. She installed a jacuzzi in the garden without permission from the consorcio that uses more electricity to run the jets.

She and her partner turn on the hallway lights when entering the building. That means ten lights on three levels are on for one minute. It takes them about 15 seconds to reach the apartment door when there is natural light in the hallway most of the day. Speaking to them about this habit is like talking to a wall. I don't turn on the hallway lights, yet I pay for those who do. We pay Edesur for this energy consumption in our expenses.

Is that a bi-monthly bill..?

Last edited:

You're literally paying fractions of cents for that.

I'm not surprised it's like talking to a wall, I might laugh if you tried to confront me over something so petty.

Last edited:
You're literally paying fractions of cents for that.

I'm not surprised it's like talking to a wall, I might laugh if you tried to confront me over something so petty.

Widen your gaze, hombre. Turing on the lights in a naturally lit area may cost peanuts, but it's the behavior of a energy glutton. How many other energy-wasting actions does this mindset commit, per day? Now multiply that by a lifetime..

That hallway is its the front lines of the energy conservation war. No big deal I guess, if you like rolling blackouts.

Not picking on Arg here, either -- I see this in the US often with able-bodied people using optional 'powered' entrances meant for handicapped individuals.

Back