Hello and a cash question

jamesb55063

Registered
We are new to the community and excited to start our trip to BA next week! We will be staying for at least a month, potentially two if we like it a lot.
A couple of questions:
1. We know about Western Union to send cash and pick-up Pesos, but I recently heard that a lot of vendors accept US Dollars, so should I bring dollars with me or just exchange for Pesos? I'm thinking it will be much easier to make change for smaller purchase in Pesos than it would to exchange or bring with me a bunch of small US Dollars.

2. I've heard in some YT videos that most places accept credit cards and I have a card with no international fees, a Visa. But I see conflicting YT videos saying that cash is king and I should pay cash everywhere. I also heard that Visa and Mastercard get the MEP rate, which seems pretty good.
What have you seen there, do Visa cards generally get the MEP rate? Am I better off to never use the credit card?

3. I watched a YT video stating that the bank ATMs only allow you to take out like $20 USD worth of Pesos a day or something ridiculous like that, can you all confirm that is the case?

We have already pre-paid for an AirBnb for the first month for $650 (we might look for a cheaper option for the second month).

Thanks!
James & Kristen

a. Vendors don’t take US dollars. And the only US dollars which have value here are $100 bills; quite impractical for everyday purchases. You need to change them for peso and use peso.

b. You can use your foreign credit card, the rate is only a couple percentage points less than you’d get for changing dollars.

c. Yes bank ATMs are worthless. And they’ll issue you peso at the official rate…

Thanks! That's super helpful. How many $100 bills should I take with me, for emergencies, or in case Western Union isn't working for me? From your response I'm thinking just $300 or $400 should be enough? I've heard that I should bring half of my budget in USD but I don't think that's necessary?

What @dlish sed. Diarco supermarket chain say they will accept dollar payments in any denominations but new, unused, unfolded, unmarked USD100s are the way to go.

Not only will ATMs give you the official rate but they will deduct huge local fees and charges. Emergency Use Only.

There is lots of information already available here: look for anything in the search box at the top of the page

You're best off bringing cash $100 USD bills to cover any foreseeable expenses you'd have and then changing them as needed once you arrive

Thanks! That's super helpful. How many $100 bills should I take with me, for emergencies, or in case Western Union isn't working for me? From your response I'm thinking just $300 or $400 should be enough? I've heard that I should bring half of my budget in USD but I don't think that's necessary?
I would bring more cash. WU is the way to go but some folks run into snags setting up an account with WU. Best to be prepared!

Bring as many dollars as you feel comfortable bringing its the best way by far. Up to the 10k limit per person obviously. If you can bring enough dollars to cover 100 % of your trip that is ideal and most cost effective and what my USA friends who visit 1-2 months a year do. Change them $200 a time at the cuevas. $200 is a lot of money here

Last edited:
Some of the stuff I'm reading says using the cueva's is risky and you could get fake Peso's, has anyone experienced that or am I pretty safe? It looks a little sus TBH.

Some of the stuff I'm reading says using the cueva's is risky and you could get fake Peso's, has anyone experienced that or am I pretty safe? It looks a little sus TBH.
I think you should stop the over-research you are doing; you’re making yourself crazy for nothing

I never had a problem in 20 years. Get some recommendations for cuevas, with the addresses, from people here, before you travel.

Back