Hello and a cash question

I never had a problem in 20 years. Get some recommendations for cuevas, with the addresses, from people here, before you travel.
Exactly what I needed to hear. This is the first time I've been to a country where I couldn't just use a bank so I'm just learning how it all works so I'm not surprised when I get there. Thanks!

Some of the stuff I'm reading says using the cueva's is risky and you could get fake Peso's, has anyone experienced that or am I pretty safe? It looks a little sus TBH.

I've also been using them for 20 years and never had a problem. When you get here just walk down Florida street and you will see they are every 5 yards (literally). They aren't going to rob you because it's bad for business.

Where are you planning to stay when you first arrive ? I know it seems weird as someone who has never been before but literally 5 seconds anywhere on Florida street and you will see changing dollars here is as simple as buying a Big Mac at Mcdonalds back home

Where are you planning to stay when you first arrive ? I know it seems weird as someone who has never been before but literally 5 seconds anywhere on Florida street and you will see changing dollars here is as simple as buying a Big Mac at Mcdonalds back home
We are staying in Recoleta. Yea it's weird but I guess it makes sense given the state of the economy there. Thanks!

We are staying in Recoleta. Yea it's weird but I guess it makes sense given the state of the economy there. Thanks!

OK to change dollars just walk 10 minutes into the centre to Florida Street. It's the main pedestrian street downtown you can't miss it. There is often free tangos shows occurring in the street which is nice. Nobody will rob you. They all work for the same head boss and and they can't afford to go rogue over $100 USD

Whilst all the above is true, the Florida Street anecdote is just illustrative of how normal it is. Living in Recoleta, you will quickly discover discreet businesses (often an office where people pay their utility bills) that you simply enter and, instead of paying a bill, buy pesos in a booth with a counting machine and complete privacy at the prevailing rate (that hour). No dealing with shady-looking characters on a major pedestrian street and then following him down an alley, as happens in Florida Street.

(Two hundred dollars is a lot of money here, but doesnt go as far as it used to. For two people, you might you need to change larger amounts if you are to avoid having to go back every few days.)

Last edited:
Back