Hello everyone

mark1732

Registered
My name is Marco. I am originally from New York and lived a few years in Puerto Rico. I arrived in Buenos Aires in August of 2011 to be with my wife who is from here. We got married in February and I obtained residency in April and I have only had one job but it was temp. I am currently looking for work. I have enjoyed my time here. It's not too different from New York but very different from PR. I have slowly gotten use to living here although I had a hard time at first. I thought it would be easy since I already spoke the language but the dialect is a bit different than the Spanish used in Puerto Rico. I hope I find work soon, it seems to be a bit difficult for foreigners to get a job here even if you are bilingual. I hope to make some friends on this forum and contribute anyway I can.

cheers

mark1732 said:
My name is Marco. I am originally from New York and lived a few years in Puerto Rico. I arrived in Buenos Aires in August of 2011 to be with my wife who is from here. We got married in February and I obtained residency in April and I have only had one job but it was temp. I am currently looking for work. I have enjoyed my time here. It's not too different from New York but very different from PR. I have slowly gotten use to living here although I had a hard time at first. I thought it would be easy since I already spoke the language but the dialect is a bit different than the Spanish used in Puerto Rico. I hope I find work soon, it seems to be a bit difficult for foreigners to get a job here even if you are bilingual. I hope to make some friends on this forum and contribute anyway I can.

cheers[I thought it would be easy since I already spoke the language but the dialect is a bit different than the Spanish used in Puerto Rico. /quote]

Hi Marco. So are you a Boricua or a NewYorquino (NewYoRican)? you mean your Pueto Rican dialect is dissimilar to Argentinian "Castellano" which is considered Royal lengua espanyola! just kidding.. I lived inN.Y.C. as well back in the seventies. but live now in California North, planning to travel Chile~Argentines soon. How you like Buenos Aires? Staeks are cheap and the Vinos as well?

I'm actually mix of Puerto Rican with Dominican and I was born and raised in New York so I can't really say I am a "NewYoRican" and yes the language differs a bit. I wouldn't say that stuff like food and wines are cheaper here. In fact it can be quite expensive. In New York and PR we tend to live less conservative with our cash and constantly live eating out and throwing away money on luxuries (At least I did and people I spent time with) Over here, if you want to live in Buenos Aires we got to tighten up a little to make our money reach till the next monthly paycheck and save for a rainy day. I think B.A a great city, it's vibrant and diverse. It's not perfect and has it's cons but no place is perfect.

mark1732 said:
I'm actually mix of Puerto Rican with Dominican and I was born and raised in New York so I can't really say I am a "NewYoRican" and yes the language differs a bit. I wouldn't say that stuff like food and wines are cheaper here. In fact it can be quite expensive. In New York and PR we tend to live less conservative with our cash and constantly live eating out and throwing away money on luxuries (At least I did and people I spent time with) Over here, if you want to live in Buenos Aires we got to tighten up a little to make our money reach till the next monthly paycheck and save for a rainy day. I think B.A a great city, it's vibrant and diverse. It's not perfect and has it's cons but no place is perfect.
Hi Marcos, A mix of Puerto Rican and Dominican ! I love them both !
I have been in Puerto Rico, in San Juan, Ponce and Aguirre..Bunas gentes los Puerto Riquenyos. can not find the,"~" to put it on top of the "n".. Tu sabes..
In the Dominican Republic, I have visited: Santo Domingo, Santiago, Las Romanas and more nice tropical islands both of them.
How do I change dollars into Argies Pesos but avoiding "fake" pesos?
I am trying to visit Argies soon. A tip would be appreciated.

Hybrid Ambassador said:
Hi Marcos, A mix of Puerto Rican and Dominican ! I love them both !
I have been in Puerto Rico, in San Juan, Ponce and Aguirre..Bunas gentes los Puerto Riquenyos. can not find the,"~" to put it on top of the "n".. Tu sabes..
In the Dominican Republic, I have visited: Santo Domingo, Santiago, Las Romanas and more nice tropical islands both of them.
How do I change dollars into Argies Pesos but avoiding "fake" pesos?
I am trying to visit Argies soon. A tip would be appreciated.

Yeah both are nice places in the caribbean. Well to get pesos you can change dollars for them at the airport bank which is operated by the government. I heard that they recently eliminated the privately owned exchange booths. These are just rumors but I heard people say that in Capital in Avenida Florida, you can get a better exchange rates from people in the streets that just approach you if you look like a foreigner. They are supposedly giving a better exchange rate than the banks cause the U.S. Dollar has become more difficult to acquire by locals due to a lot of new government restrictions. I can't say with full certainty that they are as legit as the cash you get in the bank at the airport so exchange at your own risk. I still have a U.S. Bank account and I just take out in pesos from any ATM. I'm not sure what exchange rate i'm getting but it should be between 4 to 5 pesos for each dollar.

Hello Mark, I am PRican from NY, lived in Miami for many years relocating to BA.. I will be there in about two weeks and would love to meet you and your wife.
Best of luck!

NancyR said:
Hello Mark, I am PRican from NY, lived in Miami for many years relocating to BA.. I will be there in about two weeks and would love to meet you and your wife.
Best of luck!

Sure. Send me a message when you get here and we'll plan something.

NancyR said:
Best of luck!

Now that we have a few Puerto Ricans and Dominicans, I would love to get together at some point and make some REAL PR & DR food! Arroz con gandules, Pernil, pasteles, tostones, ensalada de aguacate, mangú, etc.
I grew up with my cuban grandmother (and Russian grandfather) in New York City and we had a lot of PR friends. I used to spend vacations with the family of a close friend of my grandmother in Orocovis, PR, to this day I have visions of the beautiful and lush mountains in the center of PR, driving around to all of those wonderful small towns, Jayuya, Naranjito, Aibonito, Cayey, Utuado and others. The people were so wonderful and funny, I miss those times so much. I love Puerto Rico and hope to visit again someday.......

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Newcomers Forum 9
A Newcomers Forum 1
J Newcomers Forum 1
L Newcomers Forum 0
Valentina Newcomers Forum 4
Back