Hello everyone

Davidglen77 said:
Now that we have a few Puerto Ricans and Dominicans, I would love to get together at some point and make some REAL PR & DR food! Arroz con gandules, Pernil, pasteles, tostones, ensalada de aguacate, mangú, etc.
I grew up with my cuban grandmother (and Russian grandfather) in New York City and we had a lot of PR friends. I used to spend vacations with the family of a close friend of my grandmother in Orocovis, PR, to this day I have visions of the beautiful and lush mountains in the center of PR, driving around to all of those wonderful small towns, Jayuya, Naranjito, Aibonito, Cayey, Utuado and others. The people were so wonderful and funny, I miss those times so much. I love Puerto Rico and hope to visit again someday.......

It is a beautiful island and I want to go back and visit, I miss my family and friends. The food thing sounds like a good idea but I'm not much of a cook and a some of the ingredients are hard to find down here. I been in B.A over a year and have not meet any Puerto Ricans but have seen a few Dominicans who I instantly was able to identify cause of their accent. I'm sure there are more people from PR down here but this is such a big city that we don't exactly stick out, unless we start talking and our accent gets noticed. Even after more than a year I still got my Puerto Rican accent when I speak spanish (although it's kind of fading and getting mixed with the local accent) but most locals who I talked to think I am from some country in central America like venezuela cause they are not familiar with the PR accent.

I was recently at a conference where there was a representative from every country in Latinoamerica and The Caribbean. During the break I made it a point to speak to the rep from Puerto Rico, it was so nice to hear for me what is "normal" spanish. And she said a phrase which I had not heard in a long time "Tu no sabe lo que eh". We spoke about PR and she was originally from Juana Diaz and now lives in Coamo. Both places I have been to.

Davidglen77 said:
I was recently at a conference where there was a representative from every country in Latinoamerica and The Caribbean. During the break I made it a point to speak to the rep from Puerto Rico, it was so nice to hear for me what is "normal" spanish. And she said a phrase which I had not heard in a long time "Tu no sabe lo que eh". We spoke about PR and she was originally from Juana Diaz and now lives in Coamo. Both places I have been to.

Both are nice places down in the south and near some good beaches. A great thing about PR is that it's small and anyone can drive across the island in a matter of hours. They're close to 4 million people on the island yet it doesn't feel overcrowded. Especially if you get out of the San Juan area.

I'm a 22 year old English teacher from New York. I've been teaching in Chile through their government English program and I'm almost certain that I'll be relocating to Buenos Aires for at least a few months in mid December but I'd like to stay for as long as possible (maybe even permanently :eek:)

Does anyone know what the job market is like out there for a certified teacher (that speaks reasonably good spanish)? I'll be taking a CELTA class in January which I will assume help my marketability.

What about other jobs? Is it common for English speaking expats to find work at museums/other touristy locations as tour guides?

Thanks for your responses :cool:

alexportnoy said:
I'm a 22 year old English teacher from New York. I've been teaching in Chile through their government English program and I'm almost certain that I'll be relocating to Buenos Aires for at least a few months in mid December but I'd like to stay for as long as possible (maybe even permanently :eek:)

Does anyone know what the job market is like out there for a certified teacher (that speaks reasonably good spanish)? I'll be taking a CELTA class in January which I will assume help my marketability.

What about other jobs? Is it common for English speaking expats to find work at museums/other touristy locations as tour guides?

Thanks for your responses :cool:

aaand I thought I made my own new thread. Embarrassing myself already.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Newcomers Forum 9
A Newcomers Forum 1
J Newcomers Forum 1
L Newcomers Forum 0
Valentina Newcomers Forum 4
Back