Hello Expats of Bs.As

tsmith8586

Registered
Hey Everyone,

My name is Tom - I have been in Buenos Aires for over a year now and I finally came across this website! I'm happy that I can share and exchange tips and advices. I'm currently in the process of getting married here so I'm stressing over what documents are necessary, and translated, etc. My Spanish isn't the best but I'm still learning everyday.

Here's to meeting to some of you one day!

Cheers,

Tom;)

Hello Tom, to get married you only need your passport. If your Spanish is not good, the judge might ask you to get yourself an interpreter for the wedding.

Welcome Tom!
Getting married is the easy part...if you are looking to get your residency after- that's when it get difficult.
I recently got married, and my spanish is pretty good and I still didn't understand anything the judge said. I just knew that I had to say "accepto" at some point :)
Good luck! If you have any questions feel free to PM me!
Kelly

Welcome to the site Tom, and best of luck with the wedding plans. Now the question is, should we organise a Batchelor/Stag Party for you here from the ExPats :)

Tom,
Congrats! My sister is a legal translator and I know that she has been asked to interpret many weddings, even when Spanish wasn't a real problem for the couple. I believe it's a legal requirement, so that you can't appeal later saying you were fooled and that you didn't quite understand what you where commiting to... I am sure it's a legal requirement to get a legal translator...
Once again, Congrats!
Cheers,
Maria G

If your Spanish is passable, you might get away without being required to bring a translator... who might set you back close to 100 dollars. I was given an impromptu test on the spot in at the Registro Civil office, satisfied the clerk there (miraculously so, I may add - I didn't speak well at all), and that was that. Just make sure to say "Si, acepto" on cue. Good luck!

I got married last week and didn't need any translator. Oh, and the judge was much nicer than I was initially led to believe!

I guess you are in Capital Federal, so all the information of the Registro Civil is available on line, or through free to call phone numbers. You might start trying 147 to get the information too, if your or your partner's castellano is good enought.

Best wishes on your wedding!!

Back