Hello From California

mimyr

Registered
I visited BA in November, and fell in love with the city (and the friend that I was there to visit). I recently landed a job teaching EFL, and will be moving into Caballito on February 26th. Quite looking forward to it and joining the expat community in this beautiful city!

welcome... I am from San Diego myself ..... so welcome :D .......can you please bring some mexican food..haha

Congrats and welcome

Thanks!

welcome... I am from San Diego myself ..... so welcome :D .......can you please bring some mexican food..haha

I hail from Sonoma County here. :) San Diego is beautiful. I lived in Oceanside for a summer (not beautiful) and always enjoyed my trips down there.

I'm going to miss Mexican food, I'll tell you what!

If you know Oceanside ............ I am from Carlsbad...... well bring me some Robertos...hahaha welcome...Cheers

Hi there! Congrats!

I am planning on doing exactly the same myself. My boyfriend is Argentine, and I just spent 3 months in BsAs, fell in love with the city and now am planning on moving back. Could you give a little advice on how you got your EFL job?

Thanks! Katie :)

Thanks!

I hail from Sonoma County here. :) San Diego is beautiful. I lived in Oceanside for a summer (not beautiful) and always enjoyed my trips down there.

I'm going to miss Mexican food, I'll tell you what!
Hi Congrats, I am at Gualala now, not sure how far I am from you.
I live between BsAs and Sonoma County.

Thanks for the welcome, all! :)

Hi there! Congrats!

I am planning on doing exactly the same myself. My boyfriend is Argentine, and I just spent 3 months in BsAs, fell in love with the city and now am planning on moving back. Could you give a little advice on how you got your EFL job?

Thanks! Katie :)

Hi Katie! I already had an EFL certification (CELTA) that I got back in 2011, although I didn't have any experience actually teaching. But I applied to a few institutes (it's the institutes you'll want to target, not schools) and was offered a position teaching business English. It was honestly that simple. It might help if you have a degree (any degree, I have a B.A. in psychology myself) and some general work experience. But don't despair if you don't have either of those, I'm fairly sure that you should be able to find something with just a certificate.

You'll want to get started applying to schools right away, since February is the big hiring season. You might want to check these guys out: http://www.teacherme....com/index.html They'll send your resume/CV out to institutes for you, and give you help. I didn't use them, but it seems like a good idea.

My girlfriend used to teach in BA as well, and she says that it's unusual to only work for one institute. The norm seems to be to get a handful of classes from different institutes. It sounds like it's easy to get hired, and as long as you're reliable, you'll get work. She also said that it's easier to get a job once you're there, and that calling the institutes tends to be more successful than just emailing. Also, they don't pay well, so I'd recommend having some savings before making the move, if possible. At least for getting settled in.

I have a question about hiring times - you say February is the best time for ESL hirings, but is it possible to find work in October/November? Thank you!

Back