Hello from Neuquen

I’m from that other, better state that starts with a T, and I’ll be in Neuquén in August for my church’s national conference if you want to grab a steak or something then.

Welcome! I'm not from Neuquén, but I hope you find some fellow yankees there. I grew up reading Spirou, I love your Gaston Lagaffe avatar!
Howdy Cambalache,

Great to meet a fellow Gaston Lagaffe fan! My grandfather used to buy me the comics when I was a child in Belgium. Precious times...they still give me great laughs, though my french is pretty rusty now.

I'm a local and my french is also a little rusty now, but it's much better than my horrible english. And despite my advanced age (lol), I am still a complete fan of most franco-belgian comics. Salut et bienvenu, Lucky Luke!

I’m from that other, better state that starts with a T, and I’ll be in Neuquén in August for my church’s national conference if you want to grab a steak or something then.
Howdy darksider, that'd be great! Always wanted to travel the south. I'm not a real southerner of course, spent most of my life in Los Angeles. The local Hilton here makes a good old-fashioned if your Good Book allows you to partake.

Howdy Quilombo,

Yes, Neuquén Capital. Lots of pros and cons depending on your lifestyle / income etc. A lot to be said, but here's a few...
Thanks for the insight! I heard that the petroleros can be a double-edged sword, and that seems to be the case, that being said, I suppose it's what gives Neuquén a broader economy overall.

When driving to Bariloche I passed some of the developments along the Embalse Ezequiel Ramos Mexía (not sure what the locals call it, the dam reservoir?) and it seemed like a nice quiet place to settle down if you had a young family, but it could also be very boring if nature isn't your thing. That being said, I love the desert, cold, and water, and it still remains appealing as a place to build a potential vacation home, should I ever find the money to do so.

Have you guys thought about moving elsewhere?

A colleague of mine spent a few years recently working remotely from Bariloche. Obviously it's an outdoor paradise with winter (specially-priced season tickets for residents) and summer activities. The cons would be reduced supermarket choices, plus higher prices, and anything unusual must be ordered in (e.g. Mercadolibre) and takes time. He said internet is poor and I believe he ended up buying one of the huge 40GB Claro data packages to be able to work. Rental costs are also high, you need to find a friendly landlord who will rent year round and not take advantage of the peak seasons.

Last time I was talking to him, he was planning to build a house (it's not a very auspicious time for that right now, though), I believe costs are higher for both materials and work than in PBA, for example.

Lots of flights, so it's easy to get back to BA if you need. Also there are flights to Santiago and Sao Paolo.
This has been the downside, even if I could convince my husband it would require forgoing many of the conveniences of CABA, but still, the appeal is there, even if the infrastructure isn't quite yet.

Thanks for the insight! I heard that the petroleros can be a double-edged sword, and that seems to be the case, that being said, I suppose it's what gives Neuquén a broader economy overall.

When driving to Bariloche I passed some of the developments along the Embalse Ezequiel Ramos Mexía (not sure what the locals call it, the dam reservoir?) and it seemed like a nice quiet place to settle down if you had a young family, but it could also be very boring if nature isn't your thing. That being said, I love the desert, cold, and water, and it still remains appealing as a place to build a potential vacation home, should I ever find the money to do so.

Have you guys thought about moving elsewhere?

This has been the downside, even if I could convince my husband it would require forgoing many of the conveniences of CABA, but still, the appeal is there, even if the infrastructure isn't quite yet.
Hi Quilombo,

No plans to move elsewhere yet. My wife's brother & sister leave here in Neuquen capital and it's nice for the kiddos to have some uncle/aunt relationships. Personally, I would love somewhere in Cordoba instead. The Villa General Belgrano area is lovely, however finding bilingual schools like the one here is hard to find outside a capital city. Bariloche was amazing, and San Martin beatiful too. But I don't think I could tolerate the cold hat long. In the US, my wife & I spent some time trying to decide between Denver or San Antonio, and no more how many times we visited Colorado, the weather was overcast & cold. No thanks...

Hi LuckyLuke,
We don’t live in Neuquén, but we do plan to travel through in July. We moved to Villa General Belgrano a couple years back from the Dallas area. I haven’t found any norte americanos in VGB either, but I’m still working virtually/commuting to the states, so get my fill of US chatter. Pm me if interested in Meeting when we’re in the area.

Hi LuckyLuke,
We don’t live in Neuquén, but we do plan to travel through in July. We moved to Villa General Belgrano a couple years back from the Dallas area. I haven’t found any norte americanos in VGB either, but I’m still working virtually/commuting to the states, so get my fill of US chatter. Pm me if interested in Meeting when we’re in the area.
Ps, I was in Neuquén a few years back, and my foggy memory tells me that there was some great fly fishing in Neuquén. Am I remembering that right?

Moving to Nqn from BA soon..I notice the apartments are much smaller and rare to find furnished units.. Anyone has the experience settling down in Neuquen city?

Howdy Cruz,

I've been settled here in Nqn Capital for over a year now. How are you searching for listings?

Back