Hello, New Canuck in Mendoza

mendozanow

Registered
Hi,

Have been living here in Mendoza for a year and a hlaf, teaching. Planning to stay and getting more information about formalities and informalities.

Prepared to meet anyone here for coffee or to answerany questions about Mendoza.

Chau, Mendozanow

Hey There!
I was thinking of coming to Mendoza this weekend actually. I'm in Copahue Thermal Springs right now. Is it a good time for a visit? I 'd like to visit wineries but my knee prevents me from riding a bike. Are there other tours that are reasonable? I also wanted to go up to Aconcagua for a day.
Is it better to wait until April? thanks. m

Hola Mendozanow,

I am an expat currently in BsAs but thinking about moving elsewhere in Argentina, Mendoza being my top choice. Do you teach English? How is the job market in Mendoza? I am TEFL certified but do not have very much experience. Do you think I would be able to find work in Mendoza?

Muchas gracias,
Jason

mendozanow said:
Hi,

Have been living here in Mendoza for a year and a hlaf, teaching. Planning to stay and getting more information about formalities and informalities.

Prepared to meet anyone here for coffee or to answerany questions about Mendoza.

Chau, Mendozanow

I read an account of Mendoza in some travel blog (possibly in travelpod.com) that made it out to be one of the most bbeautiful, serene Shangri-Las ever. You agree?

How much do locals seem to worry about national politics and economics there?

Jeighsun, with some slogging, you can find some small jobs here, but it is probably more difficult than in BA from what I understand. See my post today in the jobs forum about english teaching.

JSB, the city itself is beautiful, largely because of the incredible number of trees that line the street and are fed regularly by sequias, the irrigation ditches that are sometimes referred to as gringo traps. It is not as bleak as the usual Argentine urbanity. The people rightfully have a reputation of being "pechos frios", literally cold breasts corresponding to our expression "cold fish", but some gringos like that especially in comparison with many porteños. Serene? Hmmmmm....

The countryside around is okay, desert even up in the mountains, and that gets depressing after awhile. I went to Bariloche for the Xmas holidays and the forests and lakes were sorely needed therapy.

The climate here, to me, is one of the best in the world. Dry and sunny, and even during the wet season (now) it seldoms rains for more than half an hour. It only touches freezing one ot two days on normal winters, and that is a very dry pleasant cold. Most of the winter I eat and rest out on the terrace. Still, menducos (local nickname) are among the greatest complainers about the weather and everything else, especially the women godblessem.

The one thing that really bothers me is the ripoffs of foreigners, that seem especially rampant here.

Yes, worry is rampant here too, even if there is little need in many cases.

Marian, very crowded the last week due to the Vendimia (harvest celebration). Things will start to slow down starting this week. Good weather most of the year, does not get cool until late May. If you want to go to Aconcaugua, an hour walk for to the Lake Horcones lookout is nice, and the entry for only that (60 pesos a day beyond that) is only 5 pesos. You can take a tour, or go on the local bus company Expresso Uspallata for only 20 pesos. April can be cold in the mountains (not elsewhere), and usually Aconcagua park is closed from the end of March, and does not open again until January.

The hostels have some cheap day tours by vans of some of the mass market wineries (bodegas) for about 100 pesos that are fun.

Uspallata has a bus to the nearby Cachaute Hotsprings as well. The hotel spa is expensive, 200 pesos a day (nonlodging), but is GREAT and includes a luxury buffet. Book. Also there are public pools there that cost 20 pesos and they are pretty good too.

Back