Hello!!!

Vikingo

Registered
Hola:

I´m back here after a long absence :D!

I´m getting frustrated cause I´ve being working in an english environment for 4 years but I still can´t become fluent and I get stuck everytime I get nervous when I´m at an important meeting. I´m sure having english speakers friends will help me improve so I´d like to hang out with funny and intelligent people.

Notes: I don´t drink and I can "teach" spanish.
Question: Can someone explain why expats are always looking to meet up other expats?? I mean, why didn´t they stay in their country of origin? Am I right or that´s only my impression?

Grazie!

For myself, I'm here because of work and I have no friends here so all people I know are colleagues from work. But I don't want to be hang up with work even after working time, so I'm looking forward to meeting up with other expats, who know exactly what I'm going through. With similar situations, we can get along better.
I'm not saying that expats can't get local friends due to cultural difference and all, but it'd take time.

I can be your language-exchange partner if you want to, as I'm trying to learn Spanish.

Vikingo said:
Question: Can someone explain why expats are always looking to meet up other expats?? I mean, why didn´t they stay in their country of origin? Am I right or that´s only my impression?

Lots of people want to share the experience of being in a new city with people in a similar position to themselves, and its easier to make new friends when you have something in common (being new to BA) and share a language.

This is supposed to be fun:
http://www.spanglishexchange.com/

Ok, that makes sense for a foreigner who just arrives to the country and doesn´t speak the languague. but there are expats who have been living here for year, know the language and are still looking to meet other expats.

Thanks, I´ll PM you, we can make a friutful language exchange. I just hope you are not a beginner!

Back