Hello

Hey mankyank,

As much as people say that areas like Palermo, Belgrano etc are more expensive (and this is true), there are also restaurants wthin them where you can get your dinner very cheap (should you not wish to cook that day, say). There are loads of little, Chinese, Peruvian etc. restaurants hidden just around the block. Where I am in Palermo you can get fish and mash spuds for 5 pesos, chicken and noodles for 7, and then a big chaufa de pollo for two at 20 pesos (I know I mentioned this in another posting). For a tasty lunch you can get a few empanadas pretty cheap almost anywhere. I am still finding new places with good deals. Needless to say, nice 'supposedly' tourist areas can also be nice, as they leave you with lots of options for different types of food that you will miss while away. While there are lots of areas with different types of food, I don't think there is anywhere as 'unique' as Itaewon in Seoul, which has any kind of food you could desire within a few hundred metres.
Some nice bars in palermo sell beers for under 10 pesos, but you can always buy a few big beers in the supermarket for pennies and have them before you head out (if that's something that interests you). I wouldn't dismiss places like Palermo, Belgrano and Recoleta etc just because a few foreigners live there (I see far less foreigners here in Palermo than I would have seen in Hongdae). People live in these areas for a reason. After 3 years living in Seoul, I found myself a little more nervous in some of the slightly poorer areas of BA. I appreciate that that is my own problem to deal with, but I would much rather pay a little bit more for my rent (just under 400 dollars a month for a nice big double room in a pleasant area on a quiet enough street with central location) and not be worried so much at night.
As for BA, before you get any negative remarks from others (and that's inevitable when a thread goes more than 7 comments), I will just say I am enjoying it here. Even if you don't make big money teaching, it's worth your while coming over and experiencing the lifestyle. Late nights out eating dinner, having a few drinks, reading your book in a cafe etc - it's all good fun. I'm looking forward to when it gets warmer and they have more outdoor barbeques.
Also, the people here will be interested in you if you are interested in them.
Cheers

Back