Help finding food that tastes like home for the Argentina Independent

my task for the week is to find shops (not restaurants) in which is it possible to find delicatessen and long-forgotten wonders from US, Canada, UK, Australia etc.

Sadly, in a couple of weeks, the biggest stock of imported products in BA will be in the giant suitcase I've just brought back from Europe.

Segafredo coffee has become harder to find as well, but Jumbo had plenty the last time I was there. (Since Starbucks coffee went over 54 peso for 250 bag, I switched to Segafredo)

It's always been in-stock at Disco, up until I last checked in January. It's Brazilian Segafredo, not Italian, which must be why it costs a third of what the Illy and Lavazza do. The only imported products that seem to be consistently available anymore are those coffees plus St. Dalfour jams, Baci chocolates, and Barilla pasta. Also still randomly available at Disco and Carrefour: De Cecco passata from Italy, La Costena jalapenos and black beans, Heinz ketchup, mustard from France, and Mamminger gherkins from Germany (though not, alas, the cans of sauerkraut I used to be so fond of.)

The Lindt store in Alto Palermo recently had to have a fire-sale because their stock got tied up in aduanas for so many months that they ended up with a store's worth of chocolate just a few weeks away from its expiration date.

starlucia said:
It's always been in-stock at Disco, up until I last checked in January. It's Brazilian Segafredo, not Italian, which must be why it costs a third of what the Illy and Lavazza do.

The Lindt store in Alto Palermo recently had to have a fire-sale because their stock got tied up in aduanas for so many months that they ended up with a store's worth of chocolate just a few weeks away from its expiration date.

Brazilian Segafredo was available in all Discos and Carrefours, but not anymore. Every time I see it I buy 4 or 5 bags.

The Lindt store was a mistake. No one was ever in that store. The candy was double the price of anywhere else. They might have had more types, but Lindt candy is available in any grocery store here and half the price of that store.

I wish they would bring back the Apple store but....

There is a specialty store called Malambo on Thames y Guatemala that consistently has Campbell's soup, Tabasco and a few other goodies. Grant it, I never buy them and have no idea about the cost/expiration date. The service is INCREDIBLE and it's where I buy most of my cheeses from! And they have REALLY GOOD imported chocolates.

Does anyone know where to buy high quality smoked salmon?

jb5 said:
Does anyone know where to buy high quality smoked salmon?

i've seen frozen scottish smoked salmon in coto, although i've not looked recently so who knows if they still have it.

Reactions: jb5
Back