Help My Dad get to Islas Malvinas / Falkland Islands

allcraz

Registered
So, my father is an international marathon fanatic and found a marathon on the Falkland Islands in the town of Stanley in March 2010. He would like to go after visiting me in BsAs, and the only info. I've found on flights is something saying that there is a flight once a month from Rio Gallegos and once a week from Chile. Anyone know any information about getting out there and back? My dad thanks you in advance.

from Lonely Planet site:

--------------
Getting there & away

The vast majority of visitors to the Falklands arrive by ship, often on voyages that also visit South Georgia and the Antarctic Peninsula.
If you wish to fly to the Falklands, there are only two options. Britain’s Royal Air Force makes six flights per month from RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire to Mt Pleasant International Airport in the Falklands. Only 28 seats on each flight are reserved for nonmilitary personnel; sometimes even those can be unexpectedly closed off, so it’s wise to book well ahead, particularly during the summer. The 18-hour flight includes a two-hour refueling stop on tiny Ascension Island in the South Atlantic. Bookings can be made via the Travel Coordinator in the Falkland Islands Government Office (44-20-7222-2542; [email protected]; Falkland House, 14 Broadway, Westminster, London, SW1H 0BH, United Kingdom).
LanChile operates just one weekly flight between Punta Arenas, Chile and the Falklands, in part because the Argentine government will only allow one flight to the Falklands to overfly its territory each week. (Charter flights from Argentina to the Falklands are not permitted, either.) The Airbus A320 flights depart on Saturday and last one hour and 40 minutes. From the US, Australia, New Zealand and other countries, including Britain, you can connect to the LanChile flight via Santiago

However, the the Saturday flight from Punta Arenas apparently does stop in Rio Gallegos once a month. See this post from Lonely Planet "thorn tree forum":

----------------- http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1257977&tstart=0 -------
Travel to the Falkland Islands is serviced either via South America or on a direct flight from the UK.

The Falkland Islands International airport at Mount Pleasant is serviced by direct MoD charter flights from RAF Brize Norton, Oxfordshire, England & commercial flights from Santiago, Chile. Both services are accessible to civilians of any nationality provided current immigration requirements are met.

Visitors travelling from or via South America can connect with the LAN flight from Santiago, Chile, via Puerto Montt and Punta Arenas to the Falklands operating every Saturday. Once a month, usually on the second Saturday, on departing Punta Arenas, the flight calls at Rio Gallegos, Argentina. The return flight from Stanley via Rio Gallegos occurs one week later.

The direct charter flight from UK:

This flight takes place approximately 6 times every month. RAF Brize Norton is located near Carterton, Oxfordshire, England. The nearest railway stations are at Swindon and Oxford. There is no public transport between these stations and Brize Norton, however, taxis are available and can be booked in advance; Travel information can be found here.

Journey time to Mount Pleasant Airport, 35 miles to the southwest of Stanley is approximately 18 hours including a refuelling stop at Ascension Island.

Jorge Daniel Barchi.
Buenos Aires.

Back