Help w/ DNI for buying a laptop with a card?

julia_en_ruta

Registered
My husband and I are working through the residency application process but don't have DNIs yet. He's trying to buy a new laptop to start a new remote gig, but is running into the issue of not being able to pay for it with a card without having a DNI. He's trying to avoid having to run around town making enough ATM withdrawals to pay for it in cash, as some of the stores aren't willing to give him a receipt if he does and he then can't expense the laptop to the company. Would anyone who has a DNI be willing to work with him to loan him use of your DNI# for this one-time issue? DM me if so.

Alternatively, anyone know a better work-around than going over to Colonia to make use of their higher withdrawal limits?

My husband and I are working through the residency application process but don't have DNIs yet. He's trying to buy a new laptop to start a new remote gig, but is running into the issue of not being able to pay for it with a card without having a DNI. He's trying to avoid having to run around town making enough ATM withdrawals to pay for it in cash, as some of the stores aren't willing to give him a receipt if he does and he then can't expense the laptop to the company. Would anyone who has a DNI be willing to work with him to loan him use of your DNI# for this one-time issue? DM me if so.

Alternatively, anyone know a better work-around than going over to Colonia to make use of their higher withdrawal limits?
They probably won't accept a DNi that doesn't match the c.card...in my experience...

Card + passport ?
I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Have you compared laptop prices here and in Uruguay / Chile / Paraguay (i.e. anywhere you could get to for a weekend). Card + passport will definitely work in all of those places.

Card + passport ?

I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Have you compared laptop prices here and in Uruguay / Chile / Paraguay (i.e. anywhere you could get to for a weekend). Card + passport will definitely work in all of those places.

The places he's talked to wouldn't take the passport number because of some AFIP form. This could definitely be a "they should be able to use the passport number" vs "do they know they can use it on the form" issue. But just buying it elsewhere might be the answer, I don't know what research he's done into that but I'll pass on that suggestion.

Honestly in 20 yrs we were never rejected a foreign credit card and passport in Arg ( at times we opted for lical card and dni depending on how beneficial the exchange rate was )

I'm not sure which places he's gone to, but these were all instances of him going to buy it in-person. I'll pass on those shop names to him.

I bought a laptop last week in Ciudad del Este with my Amex (that way you get their theft coverage and extended guarantee!). A return flight on Aerolineas Argentinas should be about $150. Wasnt aware they wouldn't take my money in Argentina, I just avoid buying electronics if I can't use the Amex.

Back