Help With Neighborhood- Almagro/border Palermo

jenniferpacha

Registered
Hi all!
I know this is terribly specific, but I'm wondering if anyone lives near or knows of this area. I am an American female teacher going to Buenos Aires for 5 months. I think I want to live in Palermo Soho because I like to walk around, peruse shops, stop in cafes, etc. but I found a cheaper apartment on Gorriti/Soler area. It looks like it is in Almagro, but the person referred to it as Palermo.
I'm wondering if the area on Gorriti is similar to Palermo Soho...it couldn't be more than 20 min or so walking. Is it worth it to save the money or spend more to live in Soho proper?
I am looking for a not-so-touristy area that has an abundance of cafes, bars, bookstores, etc. to be right outside my door so I don't have to worry about walking home alone at night. I am not interested in the club scene or a lot of nightlife. While I'm at it, I should mention that I am almost 100% vegetarian and I'm wondering where the best neighborhoods for easy access to fresh produce markets, preferably organic, if any.
Thank you in advance for your help!

Gorriti and Soler run parallel to each other, are you sure of the cross street? Is it maybe Gorriti and Scalabrini? Regardless if it's either Gorriti or Soler it is going to lie somewhere within Palermo (which is a large neighbourhood). The character does vary quite a bit though along both streets from one end to the other, so if you can check the cross street you will get more accurate info from the board. Good luck!

Depends on how old you are, and how much you like to party and buy new shoes.
Right smack in the middle of Palermo Soho is 24 hour party people, and not much in the way of basics- tons of high end boutiques, and expensive, cute, coffee shops and bars.
A few blocks down Goritti or Soler, on the other side of Scalabrini Ortiz, which is where I am assuming you are talking about, is quieter, more civilized, and has lots of small neighborhood stores and restaurants.

I’d pick outside Palermo Soho – it’s very nice to visit, but would be hard to do daily shopping. I’m also veggie – I think every neighborhood is about the same for getting veggie food – you’ll have tons of veggie/fruit stores, some dieteticas (health food stores), and hopefully there’ll be a pay-by-weight veggie Taiwanese place.

do a search here, and find more info about vegetarian options. some things you will have to go once a week to a farther neighborhood, but every block or two there is a small fruit and vegetable market, and if you can cook or make salads, you will be absolutely fine. Closer to Coronel Diaz, there are a bunch of good dieteticas, and things like organic eggs, if you eat eggs. El Galpon is a bus ride away on the 39, two days a week.
check out Allie's list on Pick up the Fork.
http://pickupthefork.com/

Walking at night depends on the hour, may not be safe . In Palermo locations or elsewhere in town

I used to live in Almagro close to the border with Palermo on Lavalle and Medrano. It felt a bit sketchy at night but had a really cool 'neighborhood' vibe vs. Palermo's more touristy vibe. It probably felt worse but was statistically safer than Palermo. And really close, just a few blocks. Anywhere past Scalabrini Ortiz is still Palermo but it's considered the "UP" (Universidad de Palermo) area and is much more quiet than Soho but still really close by.

Hello. I live somewhere on the border between Almagro, Palermo and Recoleta. In fact, I'm not even sure which one I officially live in. I love it, it's really convenient, it's a 20 minute walk to everywhere I need to go.

I personally lived in Almagro and loved it! Close to Palermo Soho for trendy restaurants and shops but far enough away to be a quiet relaxed neighborhood. I don't think its any more dangerous than other parts of town.

Back