Help with understanding how financieras work in Argentina.

Natalie Silverman

Registered
Hi everyone!

I would like to humbly ask this group to share their experiences on purchasing property over the past year or two using a financiera. Has anyone had any success?
I understand that you wire the financiera the sum you want in dollar billete here in Argentina from a US acct, to purchase a property. They then pile it on a table, take 3%, and off you go. Happily, the seller gets his pile of cash in USD and you get your deed. The deed may get recorded at a fraction of the price, but that's okay.

I know this is oversimplified, but I'm posting here to see just how complicated it can get.

TIA

NS

Actually I was hoping to hear some recommendations from persons with recent experience. It has been many years since I engaged in the process.

Thank you for the search. I was not able to find any input on the process, at least not anything recent. Mostly questions and other forum chatter. I was hoping to get more information from a person that has used, as @Sojourner mentioned, a financiera for a successful purchase of property recently and that would be willing to share their experience and perhaps make a recommendation.

I could just declare it at the airport stating the funds are for a property purchase. Hoping someone can share their experience declaring bringing in an amount over USD10K.

TIA

Last edited:
Thank you for the search. I was not able to find any input on the process, at least not anything recent. Mostly questions and other forum chatter. I was hoping to get more information from a person that has used, as @Sojourner mentioned, a financiera for a successful purchase of property recently and that would be willing to share their experience and perhaps make a recommendation.

I could just declare it at the airport stating the funds are for a property purchase. Hoping someone can share their experience declaring bringing in an amount over USD10K.

TIA
Last week I successfully purchased a property and the USD fund was brought in legally by Banco Piano. You can ask them all the details by visiting their central office at San Martin Street. I was searching for many methods to bring in USD to purchase the property. At the end I choose Banco Piano because I considered it is a safe way to do the operation. And I'm very pleased with my decision.

TIA
My associate did it to help me with the purchase of my apartment. It was considerably more than the $10,000 limit. She had to declare the origin. I don't recall her saying they asked her about the purpose, though, as she was an Argentine temporary resident, that may not have been of any particular interest to them.

I seem to remember it as a straightforward tramite at the airport. Nothing untoward happened and it all worked out fine in the end. Mind you, that was seven years ago

My associate did it to help me with the purchase of my apartment. It was considerably more than the $10,000 limit. She had to declare the origin. I don't recall her saying they asked her about the purpose, though, as she was an Argentine temporary resident, that may not have been of any particular interest to them.

I seem to remember it as a straightforward tramite at the airport. Nothing untoward happened and it all worked out fine in the end. Mind you, that was seven years ago
Thank you for sharing. Aduanas wants anything over 10K as a bank transfer. Not sure it was your associate's case back then, but now it is clearly stated on the AFIP's website.

Last week I successfully purchased a property and the USD fund was brought in legally by Banco Piano. You can ask them all the details by visiting their central office at San Martin Street. I was searching for many methods to bring in USD to purchase the property. At the end I choose Banco Piano because I considered it is a safe way to do the operation. And I'm very pleased with my decision.
Thank you for your response. I must ask, did Banco Piano produce "billete effectivo" or was it a wire transfer to the seller's USD bank account?

Back