Hi Everyone!! New American to BAires!

HerQuirkyness

Registered
Hey everyone!!

My friend David (I'll omit his last name until he gives me the green light!) got me onto this site after arriving just about 3 weeks ago! There is so much information, I can't wait to sift through!!

About me:
My name is Nicole, I LOVE to read and cook, sometimes at the same time. I have had about 200 espresso shots since my arrival to BA and I just love wandering around this city; well, I have started taking the bus (whoa, I have a lot to learn.)

I came here after teaching English in Seoul for 3 years. I had always dreamt of learning Spanish and figured there wasn't a better way than to just move here and dive right in! Oh, and my contract was finished in March, and I needed a change of scenery, and I'm not ready to go back to Chicago just yet... but otherwise the decision was based on a feeling that this could really be my new home!!

I have already found a super great Spanish teacher but am always looking for anyone willing to meet up for language exchanges where I'll painfully spurt out broken Spanish and you can work on your English, or we can just hang out and drink coffee or beers or water and talk (or sign, I know like, a few phrases we can pass back and forth from my days as a bartender in the Caribbean!!) : )

If you would rather just message me directly my email is:

[email protected]

nicoenarg said:
First thing you need to know is that you're not an American. You're in fact a....**drum-roll**....NORTHAMERICAN!!!!

...or a "Shank-EE".

But I'll call you an "American" 24/7 and I'll be right every time I do.

:p

Napoleon said:
...or a "Shank-EE".

But I'll call you an "American" 24/7 and I'll be right every time I do.

:p

Caddyshack fan are you? Maybe in Palermo she's a Shank -EE if her golf is really bad. In castel-Jano, I think it would sound as a "Jank-EE"

nicoenarg First thing you need to know is that you're not an American. You're in fact a....**drum-roll**....NORTHAMERICAN!!!!

ahhhhhhhh- yes- I was warned not to do this and yep, I went and did it- oh well - ya I am North American -

anything else I need to know?

ArgentinaTravel.us said:
Caddyshack fan are you? Maybe in Palermo she's a Shank -EE if her golf is really bad. In castel-Jano, I think it would sound as a "Jank-EE"

I read in some official publication that words with a Y are pronounced SH and words with a LL are pronounced JE (like "je m'appelle..." or "treasure") and only the most well spoken, articulate Argies make that much of a distinction in their speech... which I try to maintain in my own effort in being ré-porteña... !!! :D

HerQuirkyness said:
ahhhhhhhh- yes- I was warned not to do this and yep, I went and did it- oh well - ya I am North American -

anything else I need to know?

The following are some of the points translated directly from the 1994 Constitution of Argentina!

1. Please do not forget to NOT enjoy the architecture, the greenery or anything else that takes your attention away from the ground because you WILL step into a pile of dog sh*t. Not that that has ever happened to me! :rolleyes:
  2. Argentines are always right, you are always wrong...and if you don't agree with that then, well, who cares? You're wrong anyway!
  3. If an old lady or an old man approaches you, run like the wind in the opposite direction. They are robbers, or accomplices or accomplicing robbers!
  4. If you do get robbed however, don't blame the robbers, because somehow it is YOUR fault.
  5. Also, do not wear jewelry of any kind, an expensive looking ring, a watch, use your phone, speak in English or speak at all because you WILL get robbed.
  6. And if you do get robbed, but they leave your phone (for whatever reason), don't use it to call the police because someone else WILL steal your phone.
  7. However, if you get really lucky and get through to the police, don't bother telling them what the robbers looked like, just tell them somthing like this, "I got robbed, it was my fault. I did this and this wrong, I am sorry!" and then tell them your location so they can come and rob you some more.
  8. You need to support one of the soccer clubs, even if you don't like the damn game, because if you don't, you WILL be deported.
  9. You do not have the right to notice how expensive everything is because since you are a foreigner that automatically makes you a rich, robbable, evil person whom the inflation DOES NOT affect.
  10. Long lines and waiting is GOOD. No lines and fast moving counters are BAD.
  11. Bad customer service is GOOD. Good customer service is EVIL AMERICAN IMPERIALISM.
  12. You should complain if riding on the bus does not make you want to throw up. The driver is sick or something and you don't want a peaceful ride.
  13. DO NOT panic if the 100 year old subway cars creak and break apart and smell like they're in flames. Argentina takes good care of its transport system and renovates the trains and subway cars every 40-50 years.
  14. Renovation is hereby defined as SWEEPING and picking up trash.
  15. DO NOT use the trash cans on the streets. You MUST throw your trash on the pavement or you WILL be deported or robbed or both.
  16. When you're walking down a busy street like Florida, you MUST remember to stop abruptly making everyone behind you run into you. You MUST do it in the middle of the street to be an inconvenience to others. If you step aside to let people pass you WILL be deported.
  17. If you follow No. 16 a 100 times without failing, you will be granted citizenship.
Alright, if you read all the way through, you must know that I am half joking :-s it isn't REALLY the constitution.

nicoenarg said:
The following are some of the points translated directly from the 1994 Constitution of Argentina!

1. Please do not forget to NOT enjoy the architecture, the greenery or anything else that takes your attention away from the ground because you WILL step into a pile of dog sh*t. Not that that has ever happened to me! :rolleyes:
  2. Argentines are always right, you are always wrong...and if you don't agree with that then, well, who cares? You're wrong anyway!
  3. If an old lady or an old man approaches you, run like the wind in the opposite direction. They are robbers, or accomplices or accomplicing robbers!
  4. If you do get robbed however, don't blame the robbers, because somehow it is YOUR fault.
  5. Also, do not wear jewelry of any kind, an expensive looking ring, a watch, use your phone, speak in English or speak at all because you WILL get robbed.
  6. And if you do get robbed, but they leave your phone (for whatever reason), don't use it to call the police because someone else WILL steal your phone.
  7. However, if you get really lucky and get through to the police, don't bother telling them what the robbers looked like, just tell them somthing like this, "I got robbed, it was my fault. I did this and this wrong, I am sorry!" and then tell them your location so they can come and rob you some more.
  8. You need to support one of the soccer clubs, even if you don't like the damn game, because if you don't, you WILL be deported.
  9. You do not have the right to notice how expensive everything is because since you are a foreigner that automatically makes you a rich, robbable, evil person whom the inflation DOES NOT affect.
  10. Long lines and waiting is GOOD. No lines and fast moving counters are BAD.
  11. Bad customer service is GOOD. Good customer service is EVIL AMERICAN IMPERIALISM.
  12. You should complain if riding on the bus does not make you want to throw up. The driver is sick or something and you don't want a peaceful ride.
  13. DO NOT panic if the 100 year old subway cars creak and break apart and smell like they're in flames. Argentina takes good care of its transport system and renovates the trains and subway cars every 40-50 years.
  14. Renovation is hereby defined as SWEEPING and picking up trash.
  15. DO NOT use the trash cans on the streets. You MUST throw your trash on the pavement or you WILL be deported or robbed or both.
  16. When you're walking down a busy street like Florida, you MUST remember to stop abruptly making everyone behind you run into you. You MUST do it in the middle of the street to be an inconvenience to others. If you step aside to let people pass you WILL be deported.
  17. If you follow No. 16 a 100 times without failing, you will be granted citizenship.
Alright, if you read all the way through, you must know that I am half joking :-s it isn't REALLY the constitution.

hahahahha that is hilarious!! so since you're half joking some of these are somewhat true and it's up to me to find out right?:)

HerQuirkyness said:
hahahahha that is hilarious!! so since you're half joking some of these are somewhat true and it's up to me to find out right?:)

Yup, and you will figure them out and more pretty quickly! :D

Back