Hi From Techie

camel

Registered
Hi everyone,

I'm a tech entrepreneur from Austin, Texas, USA. I have an online business that I can run from anywhere with Internet, and I'm considering moving to somewhere outside the US, and Buenos Aires is one of the places I'd like to check out. I also race cars, scuba dive, and I recently got a private pilot's license. Hablo francés y español, pero no bastante todavía. ;)

Hi Camel, what sort of online business would that be?
Is it IT related?

by all means head on down, there's a healthy community of tech geeks here, but bring everything electronic with you - the local prices will make you cry.

I'm sure he already has everything electronic he needs. What are you looking for? That's the real question.

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

Hi Camel, what sort of online business would that be?
Is it IT related?

Yes, it's a hosted search engine. In other words, it powers the search engine feature for other web sites.

I'm sure he already has everything electronic he needs. What are you looking for? That's the real question.

I don't need anything specific yet, but once I arrive in Buenos Aires I'll be looking for the usual stuff - a room/apartment, food, Internet, local friends, and then I'll look into longer-term residency/citizenship issues. There is a friend-of-a-friend who runs a bar (Krakow) in BsAs.

I don't need anything specific yet, but once I arrive in Buenos Aires I'll be looking for the usual stuff - a room/apartment, food, Internet, local friends, and then I'll look into longer-term residency/citizenship issues. There is a friend-of-a-friend who runs a bar (Krakow) in BsAs.

Yeah, well that too. I was actually asking about your choice of BA. Being completely free to go wherever you want. I'm in a similar situation and I chose B.A. for two reasons. One is very personal. The other is that I fell in love with this place the first time I came. I was simply thinking of what your reasons might be. As for the usual stuff, let me know if there's anything you need help with.

Hi everyone,

I'm a tech entrepreneur from Austin, Texas, USA. I have an online business that I can run from anywhere with Internet, and I'm considering moving to somewhere outside the US, and Buenos Aires is one of the places I'd like to check out. I also race cars, scuba dive, and I recently got a private pilot's license. Hablo francés y español, pero no bastante todavía. ;)
You car racing skills will come in handy on the streets. [until you realize that the streets are far more dangerous than any track/ anywhere]. Scuba is not a biggie in AR. There are several small plane gen AV type airports. However I have no idea what plane rental might be, I would guess it to be rather expensive.

I am in a similar position - though I am doing IT consulting work remotely - and not running an online business. I ended up in Mendoza (BsAs was my second choice) and enjoy living in Argentina very much. My money comes from abroad in Dollars or Euros so I get a good exchange rate. Love the food, culture etc. here. Broadband Internet might not be what you are used to, though - perhaps bring a router with a failover feature. As others have already pointed out: electronics are more expensive here ...

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll have to look into aviation in BA. Usually English is the language spoken when talking to air traffic controllers in most of the world, but I remember reading somewhere that in Argentina, it's Spanish. If that's the case, I'll definitely have to improve my Spanish before flying there.

I'm planning on visiting hopefully in September. I'll make another post asking about things I should bring... so far, I know I should bring US dollars, and I can bring bitcoins as well, in case those are useful in BA.

Back