Help With Vpn From Techies

Supercharged

Registered
hi y'all

I am really not tech savvy but I used the Pro VPN here and it used to work well. Now I am not able to make it kick in, log in..I tried firewall settings, you name it....I use it to watch tv online it has not been working for a while Feb before leaving stopped working..

any ideas? I do not want to set an Argentine locations, they drive me crazy with "stuff" any other VPN I need?

thank you :D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in advance
supercharged

Hello Supercharged,
Now might be a good time to think about moving to a free vpn service, like www.vpngate.net. There are others like freegate, but I am not familiar with them. I have only used vpngate.
First question: are you on a machine that uses Windows? If so, then you can download the vpn client SoftEther from vpngate. It is a compressed file of about 40 megabytes. Download, save, and unzip it ("extract"). Then when you run it an installation wizard opens up and the rest should go smoothly. After you have the client up and running you will be able to choose from a list of servers around the world to connect to. I have been going with the main server at the University of Tsukuba in Japan, but you might also try servers in Latin America. Proximity sometimes improves performance.

Edit: I just looked at freegate, and maybe it would be easier than vpngate's SoftEther to set up. I didn't download it because I am running linux and freegate only runs on Windows, but you might want to give it a look. Then decide which service better suits you.

It's interesting that you bring this up. I have been using TunnelBear for VPN and it recently stopped connecting too. I was starting to think there was a change with Fibertel that blocked it. I also have Hotspot Shield and that works fine...

Fibertel: have experienced problems downloading video stream from my home network in the US and the problem seems to be time related. At about noon AR time it falls on its ass. Remotely pinged from US home to BA Fibertel before noon and all is well. In the afternoon and through the evening not good. Checked many world locations and signal is good. Tried the signal to Rio and it was descent. But making the full journey to BA is a failure after lunch. Maybe I am all wet on this but it is what I observed.

And of course, at this moment Sunday, 12:30 is working good. Observations were Thurs., Friday and Saturday.

Hello Supercharged,
Now might be a good time to think about moving to a free vpn service, like www.vpngate.net. There are others like freegate, but I am not familiar with them. I have only used vpngate.
First question: are you on a machine that uses Windows? If so, then you can download the vpn client SoftEther from vpngate. It is a compressed file of about 40 megabytes. Download, save, and unzip it ("extract"). Then when you run it an installation wizard opens up and the rest should go smoothly. After you have the client up and running you will be able to choose from a list of servers around the world to connect to. I have been going with the main server at the University of Tsukuba in Japan, but you might also try servers in Latin America. Proximity sometimes improves performance.

Edit: I just looked at freegate, and maybe it would be easier than vpngate's SoftEther to set up. I didn't download it because I am running linux and freegate only runs on Windows, but you might want to give it a look. Then decide which service better suits you.

thank you! I will give this a try and keep you posted. My job requires me to be online all the time so getting all of these Argentine stuff (a full load) drives me insane...

Monica

It's interesting that you bring this up. I have been using TunnelBear for VPN and it recently stopped connecting too. I was starting to think there was a change with Fibertel that blocked it. I also have Hotspot Shield and that works fine...

let's see....keeping you posted a huge thanks

Oy vay I am techno challenged! I ended up with an account for Unotelly that I'm paying for and when I subscribed to Netflix I still get the Argentine version! Changed the numbers of the "open DNS" per the instructions and was proud of myself fr not having a full blown panic attack! But now my IPad seems to be forwarding wifi from my computer instead of the router... At least it seems I'm still connected to Wifi but I really want that US Netflix! Took me hours to get this far and now stupid argentina Netflix. Just more of the dumb stuff.:( can anyone help me?

If you just want to watch TV shows in a browser, try Hola Unblocker which is free. Or pay for Unotelly for other devices (smart phone, tablet) which unblocks a lot of services without a VPN to slow down the connection. I use both.
changed to HOLA UNBLOCKER and it worked wonders..thanks! now I have to start the free VPN and see if I can connect. I used maskme but I guess VPN is better?? sorry ... jurassic techie here.... :confused:

Oy vay I am techno challenged! I ended up with an account for Unotelly that I'm paying for and when I subscribed to Netflix I still get the Argentine version! Changed the numbers of the "open DNS" per the instructions and was proud of myself fr not having a full blown panic attack! But now my IPad seems to be forwarding wifi from my computer instead of the router... At least it seems I'm still connected to Wifi but I really want that US Netflix! Took me hours to get this far and now stupid argentina Netflix. Just more of the dumb stuff. :( can anyone help me?

Go to http://www.unotelly.com/quickstart2/ on your PC and make sure the status at the top says working. Then, follow their steps to change the DNS on your iPad.

Back