Hi!

CoutureGirlNYC

Registered
Hi-

I'm CoutureGirlNYC, I currently live in NYC and CA, and will be in Bs. As. until December. My husband and I decided to work remotely for several month so as to learn Spanish fluently and to allow me to play polo frequently and to use Bs. As. as a base for our travels through SA.

I love sports, fashion, food, working out, experiencing new cultures, reading, traveling as much and as often as possible and doing things that are off the beaten path. I really look forward to reading this board and getting suggestions as to great things to do in and outside the city.

I grew-up in Southern Ca., have lived in Florence, London, NYC, SF, Chicago, and have done extensive travel throughout Europe and other parts of the world. My goal is to see every country in SA ( sans Venezuela) + Antarctica and the Falklands before heading home in December as we love wintertime in NYC.

I love reading about different peoples' experiences in this city as well as other cities throughout AR, and have adopted the following about the Argentine people.. " Italians who speak Spanish who think they are French"... That about sums it up.

I was slightly disappointed in coming here as I was expecting the "Paris of SA", I find that to be a ridiculous comparison as this is NOTHING like Paris aside from the 1920's/30's architecture found in the Recoleta. The people have no manners and lack basic sophistication and common courtesy e.g. opening doors for women, getting out of their chair when a woman comes back to the table, saying "pardon me" when they bump into someone etc. , the food is garbage, and it's just not all that it was cracked up to be. Hopefully, throughout our travels in this country our opinions will change!

With your nice attitude it will only get worse.
Return to safe grounds ASAP.
Your expectations were wrong.
Buenos Aires (is only one city of Argentina) has areas that are architecturally similar to Paris, others to Madrid, others are like London (Belgrano Viejo). Please don't confuse architecture with culture. And as for your description of "all" Argentinians maybe you were hanging around with the conchetos.
The food is garbage? were you eating at a McDonalds?

Hmm actually, no. I don't eat fast food and find it disgusting. I have lived in Europe and find the food even in the smallest little towns to be 100x what the food here is.

I do agree that there are evidences of architecture similar to Madrid and parts of London, but I guess when people do call it "The Paris of South America", one could say the same thing about being the "tallest midget" or the "skinniest fat person".....

I am not one that needs a 'safe ground' as you put it, I was merely stating an personal opinion that I have of this city thus far. As I mentioned in another post, I am absolutely looking forward to traveling throughout the country and seeing all that it has to offer as I generally prefer to see the "real culture" outside major cities as I feel that generally gives one a more authentic experience.

From a cultural standpoint, architecture notwithstanding, this is nothing like Paris. Parisians have style, manners, excellent food, sophistication, fashion, and presence (granted this is a generalization, but from my experience of spending months in France (all over), I have found this to be quite true). Portenos have no respect for their streets (e.g. dog shit everywhere, for their fellow people/women in regards to opening doors, standing up when a woman sits at a table, allowing a woman to enter first etc.).

CoutureGirlNYC said:
Hmm actually, no. I don't eat fast food and find it disgusting. I have lived in Europe and find the food even in the smallest little towns to be 100x what the food here is.

I do agree that there are evidences of architecture similar to Madrid and parts of London, but I guess when people do call it "The Paris of South America", one could say the same thing about being the "tallest midget" or the "skinniest fat person".....

I am not one that needs a 'safe ground' as you put it, I was merely stating an personal opinion that I have of this city thus far. As I mentioned in another post, I am absolutely looking forward to traveling throughout the country and seeing all that it has to offer as I generally prefer to see the "real culture" outside major cities as I feel that generally gives one a more authentic experience.

From a cultural standpoint, architecture notwithstanding, this is nothing like Paris. Parisians have style, manners, excellent food, sophistication, fashion, and presence (granted this is a generalization, but from my experience of spending months in France (all over), I have found this to be quite true). Portenos have no respect for their streets (e.g. dog shit everywhere, for their fellow people/women in regards to opening doors, standing up when a woman sits at a table, allowing a woman to enter first etc.).

All the things that you have stated are your observations, mine as well. But it is just the way it is here. And it is the way it is on this forum in that any criticism of this city will be met with one or two portenos attacking you personally.

That being said, I like it here most of the times with all it's flaws as the city does have a lot to offer in close, meaningful, personal relationships that are not based as much on where you eat or what kind of clothes you can afford to wear. In my humble opinion, the women here do have a lot of style in how they dress.

Hi! Welcome to the B.A. and welcome to the boards! I love your travel plans, sounds ambitious!

I've also heard Cape Town being called the Paris of Africa; the truth is that this city has been slowly decaying. It seems that 10 years there wasn't even trash pilling up on the streets, while about a year or two ago they made tenderloin illegal...
So no, it's not the Buenos Aires you've read at the end of "Breakfast at Tiffany's", but you can surely find remnants.

If you practice the porteno art of "selective viewing" recoleta easily becomes just another arondissement (de la rivie gauche)

Hahaha it has been slowly decaying since 1900s and now with Mauricio Macri at the city mayor helm this trend can only accelerate even faster, expect more destroyed footpath, huge street craters, graffiti galore, dog poo and less of that French flair misconception, not even the Recolecta will we spared from this and that is including the cemetery, la rive gauche of the Thames will be, and not even that.

Welcome to Polo country.

much like cars, rivers run the other way around in Britain so technically speaking the left bank of the Thames is the "Good" side. :p

Can't imagine then how bad will be the "Bad" side....:p

i find it really strange that you experienced a lack of respect for women because you didn't have the door opened for you.
men constantly opened the door for me, men waited for me to get in the bus before them and men let me do things first.

i find it extremely disrespectful as a female to have men open the door for me, to stand when i get up for a table or to let me do something first! i am completely competent to do all above things without the aid of men!

my main concern of moving to ba permanently is the fact that i will experience these things on a daily basis. to be honest i have no sympathy for you because i think your views on "respecting people/women" are archaic.
ps i find it pretty disrespectful to list many redeeming qualities of paris whilst claiming ba is the opposite.

Back