High Quality Argentina Products

I'm not going to be able to tell with the ones we got without an X-ray, the polypropylene handle covers everything. The handle is heavier than the blade, if that's any indication. They do show the tang ("espiga") on some of their other models in the catalog.
Longer term report: still haven't been able to measure the tang, my fridge magnets aren't strong enough to be attracted through the polypropylene handle. Maybe someone with these knives and stronger magnets can try?

The polypropylene handles are a bit slippery in use, especially if any oil gets on them. We felt the knives seemed to lose sharpness quickly, I don't know if our expectations were too high, or if it's normal. About 2-3 weeks ago we got a sharpener from the same company which does the trick.

I've been looking for a BBQ suitable for use on a balcony (i.e. it needs to be closed and produce very little smoke). Kamados are still not deliverable (and they're very pricey), I saw Cobb BBQs (though these are imported) would also be suitable, they're available, and they'd also be suitable for taking on trips for al-fresco BBQs.

Does anyone have an opinion on these?

Longer term report: still haven't been able to measure the tang, my fridge magnets aren't strong enough to be attracted through the polypropylene handle. Maybe someone with these knives and stronger magnets can try?

The polypropylene handles are a bit slippery in use, especially if any oil gets on them. We felt the knives seemed to lose sharpness quickly, I don't know if our expectations were too high, or if it's normal. About 2-3 weeks ago we got a sharpener from the same company which does the trick.

I found a arbolito at the local bazaar. Looks exactly like one of my hinkels. 10in chefs knife with full tang for 2700 pesos. I've been using it for a couple weeks now. So far so good but we'll see after it is washed a few times.

I've been looking for a BBQ suitable for use on a balcony (i.e. it needs to be closed and produce very little smoke). Kamados are still not deliverable (and they're very pricey), I saw Cobb BBQs (though these are imported) would also be suitable, they're available, and they'd also be suitable for taking on trips for al-fresco BBQs.

Frank,

Consider a hibachi type grill. They are compact, small and cook very well for 1 or 2 people.

The Japanese really have their stuff down when it comes to grilling.

Frank have you seen this website - http://kamadoargentino.com.ar/ ?

I don't know about the quality of the products. I've just come across the website in the past

Frank have you seen this website - http://kamadoargentino.com.ar/ ?

I don't know about the quality of the products. I've just come across the website in the past
I checked the distributors in CABA on that page, I saw only one, City West, with any stock and there was only one model at 150,000 pesos. I've been checking Mercadolibre every few weeks and there's nothing available there at the moment.

Frank,

Consider a hibachi type grill. They are compact, small and cook very well for 1 or 2 people.

The Japanese really have their stuff down when it comes to grilling.
I searched a bit to see what hibachi grills are about, but it looks like they're best for small items, not a steak or fillet of salmon for example. The low smoke grills suitable for balcony use seem to recirculate the hot air and smoke to get maximum use out of the charcoal, so they're enclosed, not like a flat open surface.

If anyone would like fresh mushrooms delivered in CABA, do check out hongosfrescos in Instagram, they're based in Retiro I believe. They don't have a huge selection, but we got their 600g mix which was very nice.

Also, if anyone likes good coconut water, Disco (and maybe Jumbo) have the Sococo brand at 165 pesos per litre, it tastes much better than the kind you normally find in the natural food shops here. You can also get it on Mercadolibre for between 500 and 1000 pesos per litre ;-)

Back