Home Invasion/robbery

bobsnowpuppy

Registered
Last Friday Night a woman had two men walk into her bedroom, accost and threaten her, and force her to turn over all of her valuables, jewelry, money. She has a very nice place not far from Las Heras and Pueyrredon. They came in through the transom above the first floor window. Her bad that it was ajar.

They knew which closet the safe was in and which closet had her other valuables. Definitely an inside job by way of the maid. The police told her not to let the maid know that she was on to her, but to just be unavailable for the maid to come and clean until the police were able to complete their investigation.

This is a quiet street in Recoleta, just a block from my place. Usually we have a police-man or woman on every other corner in this area and I have rarely heard of suspicious things i.e. robberies happening here. Just goes to show you can never be too careful no matter how safe you think your area is. Also that you cannot trust people who have access to your homes. For many, life is hard here and temptation tough to resist.

Yes it is terrible. This woman is in her seventies and has been living here for 10 years. She is now going to move back to the US. I posted this as a heads up because I too have been getting too comfortable with my surroundings and unfortunately none of us can really afford to feel that way here.

I hope the police follow the trail and get those robbers! I am expat living here in Mexico with a planned trip to visit there in April. In comparison, when we are robbed here the police report is too grueling spend hours giving information while they do nothing to investigate perpetrators. Crime goes unpunished here and the young are learning this fast. I looked at some real estate online and it seems to be pretty much the same sale price on properties and apartments within the city and suburbs but I do not think your crime rate matches Mexico, yet...

Your biggest dangers are at night out in the streets particularly if you drive a recent SUV model. Perpetrators find it easier to get a vehicle in motion, to cannibalize the parts with the astronomical prices of wheels, doors, fenders, etc.

Back