Hot stuff ! Hot spices /chiles in Argentina

Aleina Dee

Registered
I have read several threads now that say that hot spices are rare in Argentina.
My offerings:

Pimenton/paprika : One of them is hot . I bought them as I had done in Mexico when with both names I got sweet pepper that was ground . In Argentina you have the same difference as in Spain .There is a sweet variety and a hot variety . The bad news I cannot remember which is which .The good news is that the sweet variety is extremely useful and makes a good addition to chili if ancho powder is missing. At a guess I think the spicy one was the paprika.

Aji de la mala palabra: In Bolivian shops .They do have a different name but...I will describe its other name as "borne by the lady that parades at the corner in a short skirt " :D
Milder than the locoto but NOT mild by any stretch of the imagination.
Aji quitucho is the same I believe. Saramòn is powder made from that chili.

Locoto : Bolivian pepper between 100000 and 200000 scovilles a mild habanero pepper in other words.

Now if you were to stick these peppers in a bottle of oil and then proceed with the theme of sticking by sticking it in the fridge for 2 weeks I am sure if after said period you stick a fork into the oil and ,drip it into your dish you will end up with a pleasant spicy flavour .

Anybody know more hot stuff and what it is called ?

Aji : as you find it in the spice rack in the supermarket is Peperoncini chili a mild Italian origin chili 100- 500 Scovilles . Used in chimichurri

I bought an Aji plant from a flower keeper on Ave. De Los Incas in Belgrano 2 days ago. The Aji's fruits are very small, and red, about a half inch by quarter inch. This is a plant looks exactly like one I grew in Hawaii. Of course they called it The Hawaiian Pepper. Has the seed been brought, or bought, or a different strain? If anyone has any idea of the name of this I would be interested. Just three of these spicey peppers in a big dish makes the tongue tingle. :)

I brought in a bunch of seeds. Had no problems.

SingForAbsolution said:
I'm considering smuggling in some habañero pepper seeds to grow when I come down again.

You can buy jalepeno peppers fresh at many of the bolivian verdulerias and markets like Mercado del Progresso. Ahi de la mala palabra (otherwise knows as 'la puta que lo parío') can vary quite a bit but can really be quite spicy depending on the size, color and freshness of the pepper. The red ones (they're green when not totally ripe then turn red) are pretty dang hot.

The Locoto is good stuff too, actually spicy, and in Barrio Chino they sell hot fresh peppers as well as crushed red hot peppers (the kind we're used to putting on pizza, etc., in the states). I had a friend bring me thai hot pepper seeds but have yet to plant them!

There are a Peruvian couple with a street stall on Aguero and Lavalle near the Abasto shopping centre. They sell scotch bonnets, birds eye and jalepeno - all really fresh and very cheap. They dont always have all varieties in stock but there is always something on offer.

Back