Hotcross Buns?

One a penny, two a penny.

I would think they can`t be all that difficult, with the exception of maybe are the crosses marzipan? I have never seen them here, and from the American responses I realise they must be a UK & Commonwealth thing. I had thought to make some this year but now it`s saturday, and considering it took me like a year to get my family to accept crepes as breakfast fare, I think they would think of hot cross buns as some weird dinner roll :(

I think they are popular in the States. Even I know what they are and I'm Jewish.
Nancy

They were very popular in the 1950s and "60s in the NYC area during Lent .They had a cross on top mase from white sugar .I recall eating them on Sundays.
Greetings from Montevideo,Uruguay where I generally come for Easter.
After about 10 years the economy here has begun to slow down..Inflation is up to about 10% yearly and unemployment is around 8.5%.These are both amber flahing lights which the gov-t needs to address.
Nonetheless,the prices on the menu of my favorite downtown coffee bar haven-t increased in years.The ink on some of them is faded from use.I wonder,for how long .

When I was a child in the 1950's (in Illinois) my mom made them every year at Easter.

Thanks for the memory.
emo32.gif

They were very popular in the 1950s and "60s in the NYC area during Lent .They had a cross on top mase from white sugar .I recall eating them on Sundays.
Greetings from Montevideo,Uruguay where I generally come for Easter.
After about 10 years the economy here has begun to slow down..Inflation is up to about 10% yearly and unemployment is around 8.5%.These are both amber flahing lights which the gov-t needs to address.
Nonetheless,the prices on the menu of my favorite downtown coffee bar haven-t increased in years.The ink on some of them is faded from use.I wonder,for how long .

They are still (somewhat) popular in the NYC area. To this day, good old Entenmann's still bakes and boxes them during Lent. I would stuff myself with both Entenmann's and bakery versions, never tiring of them. I wish only that they were made all year long!

Just saw this video and they look yummy!

https://www.facebook.com/BBCGoodFood/videos/10153683488673547/

Back