Hotels charging MEP rate for cash payments since Friday

I think this is an anecdote of a single person being ripped off. Unfortunately for them.

We have a hotel booked in Misiones next month and the price was quoted in dollars which is very normal (the Alvear hotel group does this as a standard practice for example, for all guests - citizens and foreigners alike). I wrote our hotel to ask and received the following response —

“Las tarifas en USD se convierten al dólar oficial BNA venta del día del pago.”
That is the normal practice for all business from hotels to building material suppliers - USD at BNA rate on day of payment.

The new problem is since Friday when some hotels falsely think they should be charging at the MEP rate because they don't understand the concept.

Just be aware. The hotel I booked has 4 or 5 locations across CABA.

Received this yesterday on a booking made through booking.com

Las reservas se confirman en moneda dólar, cualquier cotización en otra moneda es únicamente a modo de referencia. En base a lo establecido por la Comunicación “A” 7630 del BCRA, todas las reservas de pasajeros NO residentes en Argentina, serán cobradas en dólares billete o en pesos al tipo de cambio del dólar MEP al momento del pago. Para residentes argentinos se calculará el valor en pesos según el tipo de cambio oficial del BNA al momento del pago.

Being an Argentine resident am I still entitled to settle the bill in pesos paying on a foreign card or am I going to have to lug bags full of cash with me and settle it in pesos?

https://www.bcra.gob.ar/Pdfs/comytexord/A7630.pdf

As a resident using an international card, you should okay if you show your passport and not your DNI. Depends how strictly it’s enforced (eg will they want to see proof you’ve been in the country for less then 90 days or will they take your word for it)

I never had any hotel care about residence. they'll charge the card you give them

Well they have obviously become wise to the fact that they can double their money when charging a non-resident.
So leads me to believe that they will try.
The value of the stay is quoted in USD.

but the charge will still be made in pesos. it even says above at the official rate, meaning the locals will pay more using local cards.

I believe they are saying they will convert the dollars at the MEP rate for non residents and at official for residents.
So the value in pesos will be almost double.

Received this yesterday on a booking made through booking.com

Las reservas se confirman en moneda dólar, cualquier cotización en otra moneda es únicamente a modo de referencia. En base a lo establecido por la Comunicación “A” 7630 del BCRA, todas las reservas de pasajeros NO residentes en Argentina, serán cobradas en dólares billete o en pesos al tipo de cambio del dólar MEP al momento del pago. Para residentes argentinos se calculará el valor en pesos según el tipo de cambio oficial del BNA al momento del pago.

Being an Argentine resident am I still entitled to settle the bill in pesos paying on a foreign card or am I going to have to lug bags full of cash with me and settle it in pesos?

https://www.bcra.gob.ar/Pdfs/comytexord/A7630.pdf
Did this come from booking.com or the hotel? I am currently traveling and staying at hotels booked via Booking and I've not faced this.

Did this come from booking.com or the hotel? I am currently traveling and staying at hotels booked via Booking and I've not faced this.
From the hotel

I’m a resident so will just be paying them in cash, hopefully all 100 peso bills if I can find a big enough bag for them.

Last edited:
i don't think that is legal to charge at MEP rate. they have to charge you at the official rate regardless of the card. that is what every hotel has always charged me, as well as car rental agencies.

Back