How can I celebrate thanksgiving here?

Have you tried Coto? They've had whole frozen turkeys for the past few years for Thanksgiving and Christmas (I haven't checked them out this year, though).

Last night I heard Jimmy Dore mention the slaughter of 700 Native Americans as a reason which at least one early "Thanksgiving" was celebrated.

Here's an article which supports this assertion with historical fact, with credit going to Massachusetts Colony Governor John Winthrop for making it official.

According to the article below which cites The New Yorker, Pilgrims celebrated "thanksgivings" in their traditional way of fasting and praying.":

The Real History Of Thanksgiving Isn't The One You Learned In School—Here's How To Celebrate Smarter

"You can uplift Native Americans during this holiday and beyond."

"According to The New York Times, the Mayflower did, in fact, bring settlers from England to land which they colonized and renamed Plymouth, MA. In 1621, those Pilgrims did hold a three-day feast, which was attended by members of the Wampanoag tribe. However, typically, when these settlers had what they referred to as "thanksgiving" observances, they actually fasted. So this feast and celebration was known as a "rejoicing," according to The New Yorker. With that in mind, this meal actually being viewed as the "first Thanksgiving" is up for debate with experts.

Though there might have been turkey or some other type of poultry served, there was no pie or mashed potatoes, as we have today. They would have probably had seafood, as well as a Wampanoag dish called nasaump, a porridge made of cornmeal, which the settlers had adopted.

As The Smithsonian points out, discussions of this event are often centered around the settlers, but Native Americans had been on the land for centuries before, and the story from their perspective obviously far predates this feast. When Europeans began coming to what is now known as the United States about four years before the Mayflower arrived, they carried foreign illnesses which killed Native people at exceedingly high rates. That then made it easier for colonizers to take over these lands. There's also the fact that settlers came to the land to kidnap and sell Native Americans into slavery.

The newly settled Europeans also did not invite the Native Americans to their feast. Ousamequin, leader of the Wampanoag Tribe, had declared an alliance with the settlers, and members of the tribe were showing up to honor a mutual-defense pact; they'd heard the Pilgrims shooting their guns in celebration and thought they were in combat. After some talk, they decided to spend three days together and join the feast—but this type of coming together did not become a warm, fuzzy tradition as you may have been taught in school.

From then on, Pilgrims celebrated "thanksgivings" in their traditional way of fasting and praying, according to the The New Yorker. Several times this happened because of the massacres of Native people, including in 1637 when Massachusetts Colony Governor John Winthrop declared a day of thanksgiving after volunteers murdered 700 Pequot people. This incident is also often cited as the first official mention of a "thanksgiving" ceremony, and is another commonly cited origin story for the Thanksgiving we know today.

Source: https://www.delish.com/holiday-recipes/a33984895/native-american-thanksgiving-holiday/

Last edited:
Tinker your own turkey: Bola de lomo, colita de cuadril, two entrañas, vacío, and an ojo de bife, with a bit of wire …. And voila! You have your own turkey criollo.

I got a turkey from some farmer out in the middle of nowhere in the province i live in.

It was aight. Not a farm raised bird you see in the US. Big, but not a ton of meat. My Argentinian family enjoyed the novelty.

Back