How come?

fred mertz

Registered
Isn't it ironic, as we approach the 10th anniversary of 9/11 (locally 11/9) that almost anyone from any country is allowed into the U.S., except Argentines, who have to go through an expensive screening process? Others want and will stay forever. Argentines just want to go to Gap and A&F stores.

Not exactly true.
there are lots and lots of countries that the US requires visas for their citizens to enter- and most of them have to pay the same fee as Argentines do.
Only 36 countries in the world DONT have to have visas to enter the usa- chart is here-
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/without_1990.html#countries

since there are 196 countries in the world, that means that Argentina is one of the 160 countries in the vast majority, that have to apply for a visa, and pay $140 US whether you get one or not.

19% of the world is "almost anyone"?

As I recall there was a time back about 15 years ago when Argentines could enter the United States without a visa. It was for a trial period of about 5 years. Unfortunately there were too many Argentines who entered and overstayed their 90 day tourist card, many of who found work without documents in the U.S., and when the trial period was over, visas were once again required.

captainmcd said:
As I recall there was a time back about 15 years ago when Argentines could enter the United States without a visa. It was for a trial period of about 5 years. Unfortunately there were too many Argentines who entered and overstayed their 90 day tourist card, many of who found work without documents in the U.S., and when the trial period was over, visas were once again required.

Argentina lost its spot in the Visa Waiver Program in 2002. Admission into the VWP is almost entirely a political decision. There are non-political factors that come into play, such as the percentage of people who are denied visas prior to VWP admittance. I think you're right about the 5-year period. I can't remember when they were admitted into the program.

After 9/11, it's even more political, as cooperation on security-related matters is more important than ever. Given that cooperation with the U.S. on these matters is viewed as imperialistic and a threat to Argentina's sovereignty, I wouldn't expect Argentina being admitted into the VWP anytime soon. The confiscation of the U.S. plane a few months ago didn't help.

bradlyhale said:
Argentina lost its spot in the Visa Waiver Program in 2002. Admission into the VWP is almost entirely a political decision. There are non-political factors that come into play, such as the percentage of people who are denied visas prior to VWP admittance. I think you're right about the 5-year period. I can't remember when they were admitted into the program.

After 9/11, it's even more political, as cooperation on security-related matters is more important than ever. Given that cooperation with the U.S. on these matters is viewed as imperialistic and a threat to Argentina's sovereignty, I wouldn't expect Argentina being admitted into the VWP anytime soon. The confiscation of the U.S. plane a few months ago didn't help.

Not to be negative as there is a small minority of people here who follow rules and can be trusted, however Argentina in general has a reputation of theivery and non-compliance so I can't imagine them being allowed into any program that leaves another country subject to their ways without much scrutiny.

I remember having read somewhere that the US was unhappy with Argentina being used as a bridge to get into the US. Mostly Chinese, who would settle in Argentina some time, get residence/whatever in Argentina and then go to the US.

Whatever the reason, Europe, even being as racist and so backwards regarding immigrants as they sometimes are, are much more relaxed regarding visas. And I do not think they have a bigger problem with illegals as the US! The US is just wasting money they could get through tourism, as many people are put off by so much bureaucracy to get it...and then the way they are treated by immigration personnel!

Even those from the UK need to apply for a visa to enter the US beforehand... I think it's free...but still a bit of a hassle

Ashley said:
Even those from the UK need to apply for a visa to enter the US beforehand... I think it's free...but still a bit of a hassle
No. A lot of Argentines get out of the Visa requirement to the U.S by using their Italian ancestry and their E.U passport.

Ashley said:

It´s an online preapproval thing, right? Don't think it's free anymore.

The US has very strict security requirements for passports that have to be met for a country to have visa free entry as well, don't think the Argentine passport meets those requirements.

Back