How difficult is it to move a dog from the US to Argentina?

I recently brought my cat into Argentina. It is really straightforward:

1) Book your plane ticket and understand how to book the ticket for your dog. This varies by airline, I flew American Airlines, let me know if you want specific info for them.

2) Make sure that your dog gets vaccinated for rabies more than 30 days before you leave the country

3) 8 or 9 days before you leave the States, take your dog to a USDA certified vet. Get the health certificate from the APHIS website and have the vet fill it out.

4) The same day as the vet, overnight the health certificate and rabies certificate to the nearest USDA/APHIS office for certification. Include a self-addressed stamped envelope for overnight delivery back to you.

5) Make copies of all the documents just in case.

6) Present this paperwork at the airline upon check-in

7) present original paperwork at the SENASA counter at Ezeiza and pay $100 peso tax.

DONE!

I brought my dog from JFK direct flight to EZE on Aerolineas Argentinas. Just follow the directions and you'll be fine. You should bring a clear plastic letter or legal sized envelope to tape to the top of the crate with all the papers inside. Also, you are supposed to bring some zip-ties to shut the crate door after the dog is inspected at the US airport and put inside. After that you are not allowed to open the door or remove the zipties until you have cleared SENASA/customs, etc in EZE.

I recently brought my cat into Argentina. It is really straightforward:

1) Book your plane ticket and understand how to book the ticket for your dog. This varies by airline, I flew American Airlines, let me know if you want specific info for them.

2) Make sure that your dog gets vaccinated for rabies more than 30 days before you leave the country

3) 8 or 9 days before you leave the States, take your dog to a USDA certified vet. Get the health certificate from the APHIS website and have the vet fill it out.

4) The same day as the vet, overnight the health certificate and rabies certificate to the nearest USDA/APHIS office for certification. Include a self-addressed stamped envelope for overnight delivery back to you.

5) Make copies of all the documents just in case.

6) Present this paperwork at the airline upon check-in

7) present original paperwork at the SENASA counter at Ezeiza and pay $100 peso tax.

DONE!

maybe a dumb question, but when you brought your cat did it fly with you in the cabin? how did it do on the long flight?

i have my two cats back in the states with my mom. i'd like to bring them here, but i'm worried about the length of flight. plus they are a little older.

maybe a dumb question, but when you brought your cat did it fly with you in the cabin? how did it do on the long flight?

i have my two cats back in the states with my mom. i'd like to bring them here, but i'm worried about the length of flight. plus they are a little older.
Our 17 yr old made out just fine in cabin ...3rd time flying round trip
to bsas!These soft side carriers are the best! But only one occupant per carrier,and the flights restrict how man in-cabin pets can be boarded.

When leaving with your pet, do you think there would be a problem if it were never "checked in" at the SENASA counter? We entered with a lot of baggage and the customs agent told us NOT to go to the SENASA counter inside customs, where there were 3 dogs arriving and people at the counter, and told us to go to the one "outside", which was closed with lights off. We didn't wait.

So far our cat has visited 5 continents and 7 or 8 countries without issue.

Another stupid question, but can I buy a seat for my dog on the plane? Or do I have to put him in cargo?

Our two, twelve year old cats did fine under the seats in front of us in soft sided carriers. One did cry throughout the night because he was hungry, we think. Fortunately other passengers didn't complain. The vet had given us drugs for them, but we weren't able to give them their regular afternoon meal because they had to have the drugs, hence the hunger. Think through that better than we did. Make sure, as others have said, that you get him/her a rabies shot at least 30 days before you leave, if he/she needs one, that the vet who fills out your papers is certified to do so (not all are), and that you get the vet's report certified by the USDA. And don't book bulkhead. A young woman on our flight who was transporting her dog had done that and had to change seats. Also, she did not have the correct form, nor the USDA certification, so her dog was going to have to be in quarantine until a vet could come and examine it.

Another stupid question, but can I buy a seat for my dog on the plane? Or do I have to put him in cargo?
You have to check with your specific airline. Each has different policies regarding pets in cabins and there are also rules for specific routes (you can fly with a pet in cabin to Qatar FROM a western country but not the other way). Most of the time though you can buy a seat, if the dog is small enough (under 15 pounds or so). Larger dogs are not allowed in the cabin at all unless they are "working" dogs, like guide dogs. Airlines are beginning to tighten restrictions regarding "emotional support pets".

Back