How difficult is it to move a dog from the US to Argentina?

maybe a dumb question, but when you brought your cat did it fly with you in the cabin? how did it do on the long flight?

i have my two cats back in the states with my mom. i'd like to bring them here, but i'm worried about the length of flight. plus they are a little older.

The flight was 11 hours long from gate to gate. We had to check in 4 hours early to ensure a spot for our cat. PLus it took us an hour to get through the airport. So total, it was about 16 hours.

American Airlines, requires that animals to Argentina be sent with the luggage, so that's where our cat went.

Great, up to date feedback here. I would add that you should check and recheck the procedures for flying your pet OUT of Argentina too (if it will be leaving at some point). Our dog flew to and from Argentina as well as to and from Europe, and in both situations, the process to get our dog back to the US was far more complicated and stressful than leaving.
Also, confirm and reconfirm your dog’s and crate’s size and weight with the airline. Sometimes they have a change of equipment that means your dog cannot fit into the cargo hold (assuming it’s a big dog and has to fly below). We left all our paperwork on the crate for our flight back to prove it and our dog had been accepted by the airline previously. They are real sticklers for details, but you’ll be glad they are when your dog arrives safely.

Hi everyone,
I am from Argentina living overseas. Thinking now of going back home I have to take my cat from New Zealand. Here I am hiring a company that helps with all the paperwork, it is compulsory that I do it through them. But now they are telling me that I have to hire a broker to get the cat through customs.
I don´t know if this is compulsory or if it is because I was thinking of sending him via cargo but I was not going to take the same fly, a family member was going to pick him up. The amount they want to charge me to get him through customs is ridiculous, almost 1500USD. Has anyone have to do that or is it just some kind of scam?
Do I still need a broker if I take the flight with him?
I appreciate if anyone has gone through customs recently with a pet to know another experiences.
Thanks!

This sounds like a huge scam! Read the SENASA website for Argentina to determine what you need to do to bring your pet into the country.

You’ll also need to check with the airline you’re intending to use to find out what they require.

Hi everyone,
I am from Argentina living overseas. Thinking now of going back home I have to take my cat from New Zealand. Here I am hiring a company that helps with all the paperwork, it is compulsory that I do it through them. But now they are telling me that I have to hire a broker to get the cat through customs.
I don´t know if this is compulsory or if it is because I was thinking of sending him via cargo but I was not going to take the same fly, a family member was going to pick him up. The amount they want to charge me to get him through customs is ridiculous, almost 1500USD. Has anyone have to do that or is it just some kind of scam?
Do I still need a broker if I take the flight with him?
I appreciate if anyone has gone through customs recently with a pet to know another experiences.
Thanks!

I understand you need a broker if you ship your cat alone, as cargo.

But no broker is necessary if your cat flies with you - it counts as another piece of luggage. Upon arrival, you take the cat to the SENASA office, where a vet will check the papers and instruct you to pay a small fee at the airport bank. The whole thing takes under half an hour. Best of luck...!

Back