how do i get a lice shampoo and comb?

Syngirl: It does the trick of keeping the piojos away ... repellent will only repell ;-)

oh, since we are on the topic:

liendres=lice eggs

Use an insecticide containing Pyrethrin II. Pyrethrin II is a natural toxin produced by e.g. cabbage when you cut it (the slightly bitter taste that appears shortly after cutting). Do not overdose - follow instructions on package - do not use if pregnant.

My son was infested by lice a few years back and the product (name forgotten) killed lice and eggs in one go.

''The United States Department of Agriculture has stated that synergized pyrethrum " is probably the safest of all insecticides for use in food plants " and that " a pyrethrum formulation is approved for use around foodstuffs." All pyrethrins are easily hydrolyzed and degraded by stomach acids in mammals, so toxicity following ingestion by pets is very low. However, pyrethrins are dangerous for fish. Toxicity is usually associated with applying much more of the product than directed. Care should be taken to observe direction labels when using this substance around humans and animals."

My own suggestion is not to use anti-louse products in a preventative way as lice are inevitable in school but so controllable if no anti-preventative measures have been used...just one shampoo for 3 minutes versus having to call delousing experts to your house (no kidding) if your family has become immune to the product. There are tens of delousing companies in Capital because of over zealous over chemical using parents (or lazy ones who never check I guess).
I thought Id have aheart attack the first time I saw a louse but Id say my yellow blonde son has 1 every 2 weeks - as his hair is pure golden yellow the nits and louses being dark are easy to spot and take out with a comb thus avoiding over treatment...butbIm lucky hes a boy..those girls with luscious thick girls are using mayonnaise and other home madetreatments to suffocate the little buggers you know...good luck..theres life after lice I promise you!

I am a pharmacist and I truly agree with fifs2. Do not use an insectiside as a preventive measure, because the lice get ressistant. Exactly as it happened with the first antibiotics discovered. Most strings died, but the few that become resistant grew as a new-resistant infestation.

There is a good preventive, vinegar mixed with water. I do not remember the proportions, I am sure you can find it on-line. The principle of the use of the vinegar is that the vinegar is a weak acid, so it changes the surface of the hair and the lice cant "walk" on the hair. Try pouring the mix of water and vinegar on clean, wet hair and let the hair dry with the air. And when the hair is dry, it doesnt smell like vinegar.

For me the most effective is the metal comb and Assy shampoo, I could only control head lice with the comb, boys have short hair but with girls and my daughter has thick and curly hair I use conditioner first and then the comb almost every day, they are better now, but I have to keep an eye on them all the time.

update - I am officially piojo free!!! Apparently here piojos are VERY common in school children - my friend who went to middle and high school in uruguay said its not common practice to check for them in school or to send kids home who have them.

I did a serious amount of reading on lice the other day because I was so paranoid that I might have them, and i came across a website that recommended using hair conditioner and a lice comb to check from time to time. Apparently, the conditioner slows down the live lice and helps unstick the eggs (nits) from the hair. It can be done frequently and doesn't involve putting a pesticide on a child's head. It helps the comb get through the hair more easily, and (not to be gross but...) you can see everything that comes out getting stuck in the conditioner, so you can tell if there are little bugs in it or not. Thats how i checked me - globs of conditioner and then combed it into the sink and went through it to make sure there were no bugs. The only side effect is extra silky soft hair :-D

Good luck with your niece!

Back