How Do You Deal With Sellers In Fast Food Restaurants?

SPOTTED: khairyexpat, looking F-L-A-S-H-Y at Av. 9 de julio fountains with a bunch of filo-American Argentian friends.

article-2269489-058986F00000044D-631_634x400.jpg

i miss that thread

I don't like the sellers in McDonalds or other places, but it's even worse, to me, when I'm in a restaurant. When one comes up I wag my index finger at them and say "no". If they persists I ask them what part of "no" do they not understand. They usually go away. If they persists past my second remonstration sometimes I'll give them hell ("what the hell buddy, don't you understand I'm trying to eat a meal in peace? Does being poor mean being disrespectful also? Why don't you go find a job?" When they reply there are no jobs, I reply with examples of my 5 brothers-in-law who are all working and have been within a week or so of coming to Argentina from Paraguay). But usually I just ignore them after my first comments.

Those who come in to restaurants and lay down on the table the saint cards, or whatever else they're selling (maybe a pen or socks, a flashlight, etc), I tell them to take their merchandise because I'm not going to buy it. If they don't pick it up, I pick it up and place it on the floor.

I once had a guy come into McDonalds while I was eating and asked me for my fries. I told him "no" and he got insistent and a bit belligerent, insisting that I didn't need them but he did. I put on my "game face" and stood up and he walked off. Of course, I watched for him after I left, but I'm not going to be intimidated by crap like that.

One problem with beggars and sellers here, I think, is that everyone has been brainwashed by the society and by the Catholic church to "help", the famous guilt trip. Some cases (like the guy in the wheelchair with his kid - you did great on that!) are a different story, but I despise the fact that many who are begging OR selling are kids who have their parents right around the corner waiting for the kids to come back with their loot. But I go back to the example that there is work here (at least for the moment), even though one may not like what work there is - but working hard in a crappy job, instead of taking the easy way out and begging, to support yourself requires self-respect. I have no problems with guys on the street selling things (or even washing car windows - as long as they back off when you say no [like when I've just washed the car or I don't have anything smaller than a 100 peso bill], which they are pretty good about here - and hell, I give the guys juggling or doing other things at intersections money because they are actually doing something to try to earn money), and even being a bit insistent, but if you come into a restaurant and start messing with the clients and trying to intimidate them, you're no better than a beggar who does the same thing.

One time I was sitting in my car at a stop light at Santa Fe and Callao and a family of 6 crossed the street in front of us. Both parents and 4 kids. They were carrying shopping bags and weren't well-dressed, but not like bums either. One of the kids broke away from the family and came over to my open window and asked me for money...parents didn't even bat an eye.

I don't like the sellers in McDonalds or other places, but it's even worse, to me, when I'm in a restaurant. When one comes up I wag my index finger at them and say "no". If they persists I ask them what part of "no" do they not understand. They usually go away. If they persists past my second remonstration sometimes I'll give them hell ("what the hell buddy, don't you understand I'm trying to eat a meal in peace? Does being poor mean being disrespectful also? Why don't you go find a job?" When they reply there are no jobs, I reply with examples of my 5 brothers-in-law who are all working and have been within a week or so of coming to Argentina from Paraguay). But usually I just ignore them after my first comments.

Those who come in to restaurants and lay down on the table the saint cards, or whatever else they're selling (maybe a pen or socks, a flashlight, etc), I tell them to take their merchandise because I'm not going to buy it. If they don't pick it up, I pick it up and place it on the floor.

I once had a guy come into McDonalds while I was eating and asked me for my fries. I told him "no" and he got insistent and a bit belligerent, insisting that I didn't need them but he did. I put on my "game face" and stood up and he walked off. Of course, I watched for him after I left, but I'm not going to be intimidated by crap like that.

One problem with beggars and sellers here, I think, is that everyone has been brainwashed by the society and by the Catholic church to "help", the famous guilt trip. Some cases (like the guy in the wheelchair with his kid - you did great on that!) are a different story, but I despise the fact that many who are begging OR selling are kids who have their parents right around the corner waiting for the kids to come back with their loot. But I go back to the example that there is work here (at least for the moment), even though one may not like what work there is - but working hard in a crappy job, instead of taking the easy way out and begging, to support yourself requires self-respect. I have no problems with guys on the street selling things (or even washing car windows - as long as they back off when you say no [like when I've just washed the car or I don't have anything smaller than a 100 peso bill], which they are pretty good about here - and hell, I give the guys juggling or doing other things at intersections money because they are actually doing something to try to earn money), and even being a bit insistent, but if you come into a restaurant and start messing with the clients and trying to intimidate them, you're no better than a beggar who does the same thing.

One time I was sitting in my car at a stop light at Santa Fe and Callao and a family of 6 crossed the street in front of us. Both parents and 4 kids. They were carrying shopping bags and weren't well-dressed, but not like bums either. One of the kids broke away from the family and came over to my open window and asked me for money...parents didn't even bat an eye.
Yeah or...... use your psycho face and say dame la mochila daaaaaaamee la mochiiilaaaa ,i'm taking your stuff,the key to this is being loud very loud hahaaaaalet the fucker be very afraid of you... if that doesn't work punch him hard i mean very hard square in the face, normally only takes one punch
I dislike being bothered by disrespectful people and i will not put up with it either here or anywhere......i think they call applying a ''correctivo'' around here when rude behavior is displayed :D

They are very stupid yes, this one in particular I know where he frequents to sell his stuff and could quite easily stake it out and when I see him send the boys over to chuck him in the back of the van and take him off for a spot of torture...however I am not in England lol and have no gang here.
Which brings me to thinking as I am a reader of a lot of crime books (not a criminal myself...I am a nice and loving guy) where is the gang for expats? in say the USA all the immigrants have a gang to protect themselves, from the latin gangs today going back to the irish gangs when they first went to the US...they set up gangs to be safe.....although gangs these days are largely bad, we could set up a good gang and call ourselves Los Ingleses Los Americanos etc etc...los expatriates......a kind of Guardian angels...oh there I go with my crazy ideas again lol..I don't even live here yet.

But for real, stay safe people and learn off others stories...we live in a city where the poor are close by and that unfortunately brings with it some unscrupulous folk and those on drugs etc

It just so happens I had to call together a couple of my buddies a couple of months ago to "have a talk" with a jackass who was molesting my wife's oldest sister (not of the sisters-in-law that live with us, but this one has 2 older boys and a year-old baby and is on her own) at her house in Jose C Paz. Ostensibly they were with me to make sure I didn't kill the guy, but I'm sure they were there for my protection as well...

...we call ourselves Los Que Traen la Muerte :) (or QTM for short, not to be confused with TKM!)

Back