How far will my money go in Argentina?

Realistically, would one be able to live reasonably in a furnished Studio apt in a safe barrio in BsAs for $10,000 to $12,000 a month. And eat out at moderately priced restaurants 2-3x
a week. Plus take Spanish lessons and maybe Tango lessons and an occasional milonga.

ExiledinSydney said:
Hi all.

I've wanted to live in Argentina for a long time. Wish to improve/develop my limited knowledge of Spanish. I'll have a monthly income of aproximately £600-650 (British sterling). Would this enable me to live in Argentina for a few months. Would I need to bring extra savings with me?

Any advice/information provied would be very helpful. Thanks.
Welcome ! about Spanish, I recommend you http://www.studyinbuenosaires.edu.ar/ Main page
http://www.studyinbuenosaires.edu.ar/test/login.htm test your level
Good luck!:)

DJP said:
Realistically, would one be able to live reasonably in a furnished Studio apt in a safe barrio in BsAs for $10,000 to $12,000 a month. And eat out at moderately priced restaurants 2-3x
a week. Plus take Spanish lessons and maybe Tango lessons and an occasional milonga.

guys, i don't understand how you spend your money. i live on 2200 USD and I travel to the States every three months for two weeks, I eat out twice a week in nice restaurants (about $200 per person), i occasionally buy nice clothes and i go to the movies twice a week.
and i always have some money left for emergencies.

Reactions: DJP
I assume the 10-12,000 is pesos. Which is btwn 2400 and 2850 USD a month. Certainly more than enough but hardly going to be rolling around in a bentley on that.

If it's 10 or 12K in USD/Euro/whatever - then they're obviously joking.

And out of curiosity, on an income of 2200 a month - how are you affording a 1500 USD flight every 3 month? Either you don't pay a lot of rent or you're using miles.

Thanks............yes I was trying to calculate 3-4,000 U$D per month
and no car, no house but would need health insurance.
Really looking for a simpler life...........as for my age a hint would be "and we have to get back to the garden" because there are "49" reasons all in a line"
that "everybody knows this is nowhere"
Like they say Deja Vu all over again

3000-4000 US is certainly sufficient to live a nice lifestyle and have a nice 1 BR furnished apt, health insurance and go out and enjoy the sights and restaurants. *

*well, as of today. If inflation keeps increasing 25% a year and the exchange rate to the dollar doesn't change, all bets are off in the future:D

citygirl said:
I assume the 10-12,000 is pesos. Which is btwn 2400 and 2850 USD a month. Certainly more than enough but hardly going to be rolling around in a bentley on that.

If it's 10 or 12K in USD/Euro/whatever - then they're obviously joking.

And out of curiosity, on an income of 2200 a month - how are you affording a 1500 USD flight every 3 month? Either you don't pay a lot of rent or you're using miles.

i never paid more than 1200 for a flight (usually 1000). i live in a one bedroom in palermo.
a regular income here is about 4000 AR. (1000 usd). And people live just fine. No traveling abroad, not super expensive things, but fine.

You definitely want to bring more cash. I would say at the very least around $ 1500 usd per month and that would be barely subsiding.

Of course this is all relative. To some people, living in a 1000 peso a month hole in the wall is all they need.

ExiledinSydney said:
Hi all.

I've wanted to live in Argentina for a long time. Wish to improve/develop my limited knowledge of Spanish. I'll have a monthly income of aproximately £600-650 (British sterling). Would this enable me to live in Argentina for a few months. Would I need to bring extra savings with me?

Any advice/information provied would be very helpful. Thanks.

Carlosgreat said:
Welcome ! about Spanish, I recommend you http://www.studyinbuenosaires.edu.ar/ Main page
http://www.studyinbuenosaires.edu.ar/test/login.htm test your level
Good luck!:)

While I found this program to be useful (only took level 1) it is also expensive, USD$500 for the month. The teachers were wonderful and the course material was great.
Then again, when I completed the first level, they sent an email stating that the cost of intensive language classes for alumni is only US$250 and if you would like to pay in cuotas, you can. However, when I went to sign up for Level 2 Spanish, they informed me that it will ALWAYS be US$500 and no "cuotas". On our Argentine salary it is really too expensive which is why I am not going back.

Back