How Is Argentina's Economy Doing Now?

I_L_Argentina

Registered
I have been living away from Argentina for far too long, and me and my family are considering going back there? Is it a good time? Is the economy ok?

I have been reading some articles, checking some statistics and I am getting confused here cuz the numbers obviously don't give the whole picture.

The articles below say that the growth of Argentina's GDP was 4.9 % (Quarter to Quarter) in the first quarter of 2013, 7.8% (Month to Month) in the Month of May, and 3% (Year to Year), all sounds good. yeah?

But what about the high inflation and high public debt?

Inflation is way too high, and is getting worse as time goes
25.0 % (2012)
21.0 % (2011)
22.0 % (2010)

GDP growth rate sounds OK except for a slow year 2012
1.90 % (2012)
8.90 % (2011)
9.20 % (2010)

Public debt is probably a problem unless our GDP grows way faster than our debt.
41.6 % of GDP (2012)
41.7 % of GDP (2011)
45.1 % of GDP (2010)

The Unemployment in Argentina was 7.20 (%) in 2012, doesn't seem too bad, does it really reflect the job market?

The optimistic article I was talking about:

Argentina’s Economy Grows 7.8 Percent; Agreement With Chevron And Good Harvest Help

Argentine Economy Grows More Than Expected in First Quarter

Are you suggesting that the figures published by the Arg government are reliable? Do the general statistics (whatever they truly are) determine the quality of your family's life?

Are you suggesting that the figures published by the Arg government are reliable? Do the general statistics (whatever they truly are) determine the quality of your family's life?

To what extent can the Arg government manipulate the figures? how far from truth could it be?

I agree, general statistics do not determine the quality of life of my family or any other citizen, that is why I am trying to sense the general opinions about the economy from people who are actually living in Argentina and facing the day to day life challenges there.

To what extent can the Arg government manipulate the figures? how far from truth could it be?

I agree, general statistics do not determine the quality of life of my family or any other citizen, that is why I am trying to sense the general opinions about the economy from people who are actually living in Argentina and facing the day to day life challenges there.
Though the source of the data you cite appears to be neutral and consequently reliable, the figures are unreliable to the extent the calculations are based upon data furnished by the AR government to whom the IMF has given a yellow card for misrepresenting its economic performance. As you yourself remark, high inflation and increasing debt because of economic mismanagement trump the rosy economic picture painted by the cited statistics. It strikes me as odd that someone who agrees that general statistics, especially those published with input from official AR sources, are not determinative of the quality of life for him or his family would so extensively cite such data when inquiring about the quality of life. Likewise, the general opinions of the BA "expats" responding to your inquiry at this site may not be the best source of information inasmuch as they are not representative of the average Argentine resident. It seems like you are a native (or former longtime resident) who has left Argentina. Do you have friends and family, former business colleagues, or other indigenous sources (public or private) that you can turn to for opinions on the quality of life? With all due respect I suggest such sources may be more reliable than the opinions of English speaking expats temporarily residing (for the most part) in BA.
p.s If you are financially well off then life can be okay here or just about anywhere.

Though the source of the data you cite appears to be neutral and consequently reliable, the figures are unreliable to the extent the calculations are based upon data furnished by the AR government to whom the IMF has given a yellow card for misrepresenting its economic performance. As you yourself remark, high inflation and increasing debt because of economic mismanagement trump the rosy economic picture painted by the cited statistics. It strikes me as odd that someone who agrees that general statistics, especially those published with input from official AR sources, are not determinative of the quality of life for him or his family would so extensively cite such data when inquiring about the quality of life. Likewise, the general opinions of the BA "expats" responding to your inquiry at this site may not be the best source of information inasmuch as they are not representative of the average Argentine resident. It seems like you are a native (or former longtime resident) who has left Argentina. Do you have friends and family, former business colleagues, or other indigenous sources (public or private) that you can turn to for opinions on the quality of life? With all due respect I suggest such sources may be more reliable than the opinions of English speaking expats temporarily residing (for the most part) in BA.
p.s If you are financially well off then life can be okay here or just about anywhere.

Sure i already consulted my relatives who still living in Argentina, yet, I thought It wouldn't hurt to hear what other expats had to say in this regard.

Thanks a lot for take the time to reply to my post.

Hello everyone, can someone tell me, how much is the dollar being bought in the black market today in Arg?

My uneducated opinion: one bright spot regarding the economic future of Argentina: I´m guessing a better government will probably come to power before toooo long.

Argentine economy has been growing since 2003, unstoppably.
It has multiplied for two the GDP in these years, and has a very low debt (as a percentage of GDP) compared to other countries, including a lot of first world countries.

These years, it duplicated the middle class, the World Bank says.

For example, Argentina produces almost 1 million cars per year, which only 13 countries of the world do (remember, it is a relatively small country, only 40 million of population). Most of those cars are for the internal market, so you must find market for that production. In other words, almost a million people have to have money to buy a new car PER YEAR. This scene is a good example of the growth this country have been experimenting since the crash in 2001.
It is reaching its limit, though.

Japan, 128 million inhabitants but every citizen owes US $ 79.000 a head ! Just surpassed US$ 10 trillion dollars in debts. What is the debt per head in Argentina?

Back