How is the Argentinian economy not even in worse shape?

Good point.

Argentinians live and die with the furniture they got when they set up house. Much of it, family hand-downs. No one dreams of "redoing" the living room, or remodeling the kitchen, as is common in the US.

Shopping is not entertainment - people have no linen closets, just two sets of sheets at best.

Argentines will buy a car before they consider essential home maintenance let alone improvements.

Argentines will buy a car before they consider home improvements even essential repairs or replacements!
It's scary how little effort so many Argentines put into their house... When I was looking at properties I was so disappointed - a house that wasn't old and falling to bits was a huge surprise. Of course there are houses that are looked after but they are rare - the general theme is put as little money etc into it as possible and fix things only if they really really break.

It's scary how little effort so many Argentines put into their house... When I was looking at properties I was so disappointed - a house that wasn't old and falling to bits was a huge surprise. Of course there are houses that are looked after but they are rare - the general theme is put as little money etc into it as possible and fix things only if they really really break.
It's not just houses. It's pretty much anything. If it hasn't turned to dust it's good to go.

It's not just houses. It's pretty much anything. If it hasn't turned to dust it's good to go.

When I moved to La Plata 9 years ago I couldn't understand why the exteriors of the houses, and the hi-rise apartments were left dirty and neglected. Sidewalks, too, were left broken. Even the owners of properties that were for sale didn't bother to put on a fresh coat of paint. When we searched for a handyman to do odd fixups in our house, there were very, very few to be found and those we found were very sloppy about their work.
I've asked why this is and gotten a variety of answers but it seems like there's a shortsightedness, that money spent on maintenance is wasted.
We've since found two good repairmen and a very capable person to care for our gardens. When they finnish a days work they tell me what the cost is and I always give them 50% more or even double hoping that they'll return the next time we need them.

Argentina is one of the only places where you feel blessed when someone you are paying to do a job actually shows up - let alone does the job well.... It's like they are doing you a favour by working for you - even though you are paying them well.. Crazy times !!

Back