How many of you want to leave Bs As?

I want to leave....... came for two weeks...stayed 11 months.... bye bye... leaving Saturday!!! So very happy.

Napoleon said:
You know, the website is called BAEXPATS.

Yes, but it is not called CiudadBAexpats. I've never seen anyone who posts here crticized for living in San Isidro or Vincente Lopez or anywhere in Greater BA. I lived in Ciudad Buenos Aires for four years. I wasn't unhappy there, but having read posts by obviously happy individuals like Tom, John.St, and a few others who were living in other parts of Agentina I started looking (on line) for an alternative to living in the city. I had already ruled out the Zona Norte, including Pilar and Tigre.

I looked at homes in several provinces, particulary Mendoza and Cordoba, but the house the attracted me the most was in the south of Provincia Buenos Aires, two KM from the ocean and ten and tewnty minute drives from population centers of 75,000 and 350,000. To make a long story short (and as I've previously posted), I bought the 4 bedroom house for less $ than I sold my one bedroom apartment in BA. That was almost two years ago and that's long enough to know I have no desire to leave...Provincia BA...or Argentina.

Spfly731 said:
I want to leave....... came for two weeks...stayed 11 months.... bye bye... leaving Saturday!!! So very happy.

I'm leaving on Sunday, after spending almost a year here in total.

Finally getting down to Patagonia and then spending some time near Salta. Can't wait to see this part of Argentina.

Leaving BsAs is bittersweet. Part of me can't wait to get out of this crazy place, but the other part will miss it in some strange way.

I always come back... but this time it was a lot more than I bargained for! Needing a big dose of the USofA.

Salta is beautiful... Salta la linda.

Enjoy your travels.

Many of you know that I have already left BsAs. I just wanted to post here to say that after living in Buenos Aires for nearly six years, and though I will always have a nostalgia for certain parts and aspects of Buenos Aires, having been gone for almost a month now I must say that I am not looking back and do not miss it! Santiago, while a temporary stop for me (minimum of 6 months) is green, clean, and efficient... a breath of fresh air.

Cheers to those of you who are still enjoying BsAs for what it is, good luck to those of you who want to leave but are unable to for now, and kudos to those of you who wanted to leave and left.

Santiago is nice, clean, greenish, (brown, grey, depending on the smog), modern, orderly...but so damn boring!
It can just not rival BA in any dept.

Amargo said:
Santiago is nice, clean, greenish, (brown, grey, depending on the smog), modern, orderly...but so damn boring!
It can just not rival BA in any dept.

It's true Santiago is not as exciting of a city as Buenos Aires, culturally (but as a new mom working to launch a business it doesn't matter that much to me at the moment). also miss having just about anything within a 10 minute walk (there is a lot of sprawl in Stgo, and I got spoiled for the last several years having a market downstairs and across the street) and all the little mom and pop shops. That's pretty special.

The main thing is that the government in Argentina didn't pay me $40,000 to come and launch a business there (in fact, they inhibited me from starting one)! I wouldn't want to live here long-term, but am excited for the present (and enjoying the abundance of burrito shells, smoked turkey, and amazing prices on seafood, etc.) and may consider living in other regions if the government remains as supportive of business development.

I WANT TO LEAVE! But I am a native and my relatives live here... I lived in Uruguay for 1 year and although it is the most boring place on earth, I wouldn't mind going back and coming here as a tourist.

MizzMarr said:
It's true Santiago is not as exciting of a city as Buenos Aires, culturally (but as a new mom working to launch a business it doesn't matter that much to me at the moment). also miss having just about anything within a 10 minute walk (there is a lot of sprawl in Stgo, and I got spoiled for the last several years having a market downstairs and across the street) and all the little mom and pop shops. That's pretty special.

The main thing is that the government in Argentina didn't pay me $40,000 to come and launch a business there (in fact, they inhibited me from starting one)! I wouldn't want to live here long-term, but am excited for the present (and enjoying the abundance of burrito shells, smoked turkey, and amazing prices on seafood, etc.) and may consider living in other regions if the government remains as supportive of business development.

Good luck with your business!

Interesting thread. I see a lot of us complaining about the symptoms but I think it would probably help if we thought more about the causes. Where is the average porteno coming from and what events have helped shape the individual and the culture?

My take is that the average porteno psychology is a combination of low self-esteem, arrogance, laziness, fear, desperation and resignation. Now you might say that these traits can be found in any society. This is true. But because of the history of this nation, these traits are much more prominent.

Unfortunately, this country has suffered greatly because of a corrupt government, Peronism, military dictatorship and perhaps worst of all, the cyclical, inflationary, boom/bust of the monetary system. One cannot emphasize enough how devastating this is to a person’s mentality and to the psychology of future generations.

The general, accepted mentality here is to get what you can now before it all goes to shit and don’t worry about how many people you have to screw over to do it. Why? Because nobody believes, cares about or trusts in anything here. Nobody has faith in each other or the system. It all becomes a constant game of competitive survival – scratching, clawing and eeking out a living – preparing for the next disaster – always checking to make sure you’re not being screwed.

Nobody takes pride in anything here. Perhaps the best example of this is when people throw trash right into the street without a second thought. Why? When a person’s own personal needs(physical and mental) and securities are not met, then the needs of our neighbor and of society at large, take a back seat. From there it just grows and expands into a vicious circle.

Expats are now finding out what it’s like to “live like an Argentine”. Before we were a class apart because we had a higher standard of living and weren’t as bothered by the little annoyances. Those days are long gone I’m afraid.

Just my 2 cents.

Back