How much is your month Rent and has it gone up?

I actually just reserved a 24 month apt today - 2 bedrooms in belgrano, block from subte, 2200 per month plus 530 in expenses that includes gas, water, and phone. it has the 20% per year increase built in to the price after year one, but I found that to be standard with every realtor.

This is relevant because I tried for about 2-3 months to find a reasonable priced, nice, furnished temporary place in the 800-1000 USD/month inclusive range in a similar area and i was met with no luck at all. I saw a bunch of overpriced, grimy crapholes with kitchens that looked like laboratory experiments were performed in them in a regular basis.

Additionally, a few of my fellow Palermo-dwelling friends have recently made moves to san telmo after their landlords pulled a similar gigantic price increase on them.

I'm certainly no expert, but possibly the demand for temporary places rented to foreigners has gone up?

It might not hurt to lob a few emails out to other groups that rent to foreigners to see if they have available units in your price range in your area, to see if you're getting gouged.

Best of luck!

Does your landloard have another apt for rent? Or maybe knows someone? Btw: What groups rent to foreigners?

If you are paying in US$ i dont think you should be having to pay an increase of 20% - maybe 10% over the year. The peso has been going down agains the US$ so for him in pesos he is not going to be disadvantaged as much as someone who is renting in pesos.

The other thing to remember is that its going into the quiet time of year for renting to foreigners.

If i was in your position and was staying for a while longer (more than a couple of months) i wouldnt give him an answer until the last moment, and start looking for something else now. You might be surprised what is available. I have never had a problem getting a place for rent from april/may to nov at a good/discounted price.

citygirl said:
I'd say that's still a good price compared to what's out there.

My rent has gone up about 20% in 2 years. 10% after the first year and then another 10% 9 months later. The building expenses increased dramatically hence her increasing my rent.

I'll second that. I pay a local price, in pesos...and it's not far off what you're paying. I'd have a look around in the windows of rental agencies for a better idea of what people are paying but I haven't seen much for under about 2,000 pesos per month (for something 1 bedroomed and basic...and that's a local price with garantia). My rent goes up at around 10-15% per year (which is stipulated in the contract). Building expenses are through the roof atm

An entire house in the suburbs: Pesos 2500-3000. With swimming pool. Shop around.
An appartment (3 rooms) in the suburbs: Pesos 1500-2000.

Those renting to foreigners know that you are trapped and only want touristic burgs (San Telmo, Palermo). Get out of there and rent for 1-2 years.

A landlord in Recoleta: hardly what the rest of the country would call "Argentinian mentality".

Ashley said:
Building expenses are through the roof atm

And set to increase another 20% or so -- I think it ws 13% set for May and another in August... sorry wasn't paying enough attn to the news that day to be more exact -- at this point I here otro aumento and tend to blank everything out, since what is my option, we're going to have to pay it anyway...

marksoc said:
An entire house in the suburbs: Pesos 2500-3000. With swimming pool. Shop around.
An appartment (3 rooms) in the suburbs: Pesos 1500-2000.

Those renting to foreigners know that you are trapped and only want touristic burgs (San Telmo, Palermo). Get out of there and rent for 1-2 years.

A landlord in Recoleta: hardly what the rest of the country would call "Argentinian mentality".

I beg to disagree somewhat -- prices for apartments in the more desirable Zona Norte neighbourhoods -- ie the river-side of the Panamericana (Martinez, San Isidro, Olivos etc) barely go down over more desirable areas of Capital, and in most areas don't at all -- you'll pay the same to live in Olivos as you will to live in Nunez -- and you'll pay the same to live in La Lucila as you would Recoleta or Palermo.

You have to go even further out, or to the other side of Panamericana to get lower rents, and then in a lot of those neighbourhoods if you don't have a car you're pretty much stuck -- you really need at least one car per household to live in many areas of the "burbs" -- you can get away without if you're on the river side, near the train, or nearish the Panamericana -- but then you're paying almost as much as you would in town, so it doesn't necessarily make significant enough difference to make the move if your life is in town. And the hike into town on a public bus, while fine to do once in awhile, isn't so ideal at 2am or later on a weekend, when it dumps you on the side of the highway -- especially as a woman, you need someone who can pick you up on the end or a remise, and those remises start to add up pretty quickly so trips to Capital do get cut down.

Back